Why Do My Cookies Always Fall Flat?

Every time I bake chocolate chip cookies, they come out of the oven nice and puffy, but within five minutes, they are flat. They are still fairly soft and aren't overly crunchy, but they don't look very nice. Am I cooking them too long? Too short?

If it makes a difference, I don't use eggs in my cookies. I replace them with a mixture of oil, water and baking powder.

Any tips to make my cookies thicker, chewier, and just generally nicer looking?

UPDATE: Thanks to everyone who answered so far. As for the eggs, my son is allergic so using eggs is not an option. Looking forward to getting more advice. : )

Do not, over mix or over beat the mix.... when making the cookies.

My friend, a baker, has said that.

I would guess that it's the eggs. Assuming that there's an allergy or some other valid reason to substitute the eggs, just leave them be. Honestly, no one cares about how a cookie looks as long as it tastes good!

Because you are not using eggs. The oil is heavy.
You should be using baking soda (Arm and Hammer, yellow box) not baking powder.

Also make sure your baking soda is fresh.. I noticed it it has been in the cabinet for more than a year, the baked goods do not bake as high.

My friend, a baker, has said that.

Haha... It has taken me YEARS to get my cookies flat. I hate puffy cookies. Bleck. Yucky.

- No baking sodas or powders
- Pasteurized eggs (the kind in the milk box) only
- A little extra crisco or butter, and butter's better for flat than crisco
- Dump all the ingredients in at once (no sifting!!! no wet and dry! Together!)
- Beat the bejeebers out of them
- Pull out of the oven early (to keep cooking on the sheet for a few minutes on top of the stove)

Haha! Victory!!! Flat cookies!!!

Conceivably one could reverse the process for puffy icky cookies ;)

I once read that putting your cookie dough in the refrigerator for a bit before cooking them makes them not so flat. It wouldn't hurt to try, right.

We have egg allergies so this is how we make cookies. I dislike flat cookies, and ours always come out fluffy!

I follow the Nestle Toll House Recipe on the back.

I use real butter, softened. We replace each egg with a 1/4 cup of applesauce. I've used cinnamon applesauce for variety, it also tastes good! But mostly we use unsweeted applesauce.

I add extra flour, maybe about a 1/4-1/2 cup more flour, depending on how the batter feels.

I then refrigerate the batter until it's a little hard. I place the cold batter in round chunks on the cookie sheet and bake according to directions.

The extra flour and the refrigeration keep the cookies more puffy and also soft. However, they do disappear quickly because who doesn't like chocolate chip cookies???

Hmmm. Good question. I do use eggs (and oatmeal), but mine are usually pretty flat too. And darn delicious. ;)
Mmmm. I need to make some cookies!
What do you bake them on?
I think a baking stone makes the best cookies.

I will be curious to see the answers you get. :)

I find adding oatmeal helps with my cookies staying puffy. I'm like you...cookies have often fallen flat and I love puffy cookies. I also bet the idea of putting the dough in the fridge for a bit. One other thing I began doing a couple years ago is to rinse the cookie sheet off with cool water before putting another batch on it, that way they're not beginning to ooze outwards before being out into the oven and will hopefully hold their shape better. Good luck!!

OH...just remembered!!!! I've begun to add flax seed meal to my pancakes, muffins, etc because it's so darn good for you but the pkg also says it's a good egg replacement. Give it a shot. Maybe it'll help them stay puffy AND be a smidgen healthy!!

Now...don't gain TOO much weight trying out all the different suggestions! ;)

1 / 3