Why Are My Kids CRAZY After School and What Should I Do About It?

We just went back to school and for the first time, when my kids come home, they are BOUNCING OFF THE WALLS!! I've considered asking the school if they keep the kids on an IV of sugar all day or what?!?! Okay, I get that they have been sitting and paying attention all day, but, really, I feel like tying them to the vacuum so that as they run around they could at least TRY to counteract all the mess they have been leaving in their wakes. It's too hot (98-103 degrees) to send them outside and we live in a small apartment. What should I do??

First give them the down time they need when they come home...run around outside (weather permitting), play, whatever for a set amount of time and then a small snack before homework starts. It helps.

Totally normal. I'm a teacher, and anytime I see my students after school with their parents I'm like, "that is not the same child that was just in my classroom". And if it's that hot they probably didn't get much exercise at school either. Don't try anything structured b/c it won't work, but they need to get the energy out. Take them to a pool or maybe there's an indoor play area somewhere- a children's gym, YMCA, basketball gym, etc.

They use up all their self control while they're in school.

When we didn't have a pool, were stuck in a small space, and were driving my mum crazy, she'd soak our heads and send us out to play with wet hair. When our hair dried it was time to come back inside and settle down. Often after a quick shower to cool off again (no air con).

They are Deflating... from their LONG day at school and listening and following directions all day and concentrating ALL day and sitting in their seats ALL day.
Just like an adult, that is at work ALL day, and comes home and needs to unwind or deflate too.

I learned that, once my daughter started school.

So, because I know that about her/kids.... I let her deflate and unwind. I also give her a snack because she is HUNGRY afterschool. They have to get out all their pent-up energy.... and deflate.

I tell my daughter once we come home... "okay, you can deflate. Unwind. Mommy will not make you do anything yet. But after, it is homework time." And then she does.

AND also though, OVER-tired kids.... also 'appear' more hyper... but they are actually very tired.
After school, kids are very tired... once they come home. Its a LONG day for them, at school.
My daughter, would also nap after school... which really made a difference.

all the best,
Susan

Give them a little time before dinner & homework to burn off some steam! Take them to a park with a sprinkler!

HI--
Are you open to some alternative ideas? I have found that some children are very influenced by their environment, which could be it. Do they like their teacher? Do you? What about their friends? Do they react to chemicals? A lot of cleaning agents used in schools are tied to hyperactivity--as well as artificial colors, artificial flavors, and chemical preservatives. Are they eating more pre-packaged foods when they are at school? There are lots of things that could be causing it--happy to talk to you further if any of this is resonating with you.
Jod

Nerve cells fire when there is calcium in the nerve cell- Magnesium acts as a channel gate blocker to keep calcium out of the cell and keep the nerves relaxed. Magnesium depletion causes high adrenaline .

Magnesium malate or Magnesium citrate daily...between 300-500 mg a day may help do the trick. If they start to get a loose stool(which is a natural response for magnesium) just cut back the dose until they are comfortable.

Ingesting high amounts of dairy (which is 8 tmes the calcium to magnesium ratio) exacerbates hyper behavior.

The other thought is low Cortisol. Cortisol is a natural hormone that helps us deal with stress, but stressful situations will deplete it. Low cortisol allows low blood sugar to occur- and then that causes an adrenaline surge. You can counter balance low blood sugar by having them eat a small protien snack every 2.5 -3 hours. If they eat lunch at 11:30 and arent getting food again until 4..it could be the reason. Maybe a cheese stick in the backpack for the way home might do the trick.

While it's still so hot, why not take them to the pool? That should give them the physical outlet they need and wear them out for bed. Good luck!

1 / 3