Whole Milk and Diaper Rash

My 12 month old baby seems to be getting a diaper rash from starting on whole milk. Has anyone experienced this? She has had dairy since 9 months (yogurt and cheese). I started whole milk on Monday and she has had wet stools and this evening had the worst diaper rash (she's not suffered from diaper rash in her 12 months of life until this evening).

I think the sugar content in milk may be too high for a child that young. The richness/fat can upset her stomach and cause loose stool, which irritates the skin touching the diaper(yeast). Or last but not least, she could just be allergic!
Best of luck to you both, J.

Sounds like she has an intolerance issue. My husband can eat dairy products but gets loose stools if he eats cereal with milk. He limits milk to once a week if he feels constipated.

I would just stick to dairy products and skip the milk most of the time.

I would suggest Rice Milk. I comes fortified with all the vitamins and minerals that regular milk has and now just about all grocery stores sell organic rice milk. Health food stores will sell it to you at a discount if you buy it by the case-which many moms do. I would stay away from soy just because they have discovered that it has a form of estrogen and is causing early onset puberty in girls.

My son had a few issues when we transitioned to whole milk as well. He had diaper rash, loose poop, and gas. He always had to be on soy formula because he had issues with milk based formulas. He was able to tolerate small doses of dairy from about 9 months like your little girl, so i really assumed the milk-based issue had been worked through.

We put him on Lactaid for a couple months. it's much more pricey than regular whole milk, but we were able to switch him to regular whole after that. I'm not sure if your daughter is having issues with the lactase but this seemed to work for my guy until he got better acclimated to the larger amounts of dairy.

It's worth a try anyway... i was tempted to give him soy milk (Silk) but there wasn't any that i could find with the same fat content... and ultimately that's why they keep them on whole milk as a follow up to formula/breastmilk. Edit: I did speak with my pediatrician about using Soy milk, and she frowned upon it and recommended toddlers stay away from it unless it's absolutely necessary. See what your ped. thinks before you make the change to Soy Milk.

good luck to you... it's worth a try.

~J.~

Yes, this is pretty much how my son started showing his dairy sensitivity -- once whole milk started. Yogurt and cheese are often easier to digest because the proteins are already partially broken down, but milk isn't like this. My son could eat tons of YoBaby yogurt and some cheese and never had a problem, but when he started drinking a lot of milk he had chronic diarrhea and rashes for months till we finally figured out what the issue was (we had thought it was a problem with the diapers initially).

Stop the milk and see if everything clears up. Milk stays in the system for up to several weeks I believe, so it might not be an immediate change. You might just need to wait longer to introduce it, or your baby might just be sensitive to dairy in that form and you should avoid it longer. The less exposure, the more likely she is to grow out of the sensitivity. From 18 months to age 3 1/2 he had almost no dairy except for trace amounts in baked goods and the like. My son is now 4 years old and still cannot handle large quantities of dairy, but does better if we keep it to relatively small amounts than he did when he was younger.

This happened to my son a few weeks ago. I treated the diaper rash w desitin and as he got used to the whole milk his stool hardened and the diaper rash disappeared. It took about a week...my pediatrician said it might take that long for him to transition to the whole milk. We actually did rice milk and whole milk for 1 week to ease the transition. You might want to talk to your pediatrician if it doesn't get better in a few days.

I don't have an answer to the dairy issue... I can recommend a great cream for her diaper rash though. It's called TRIPLE PASTE (slightly expensive-but it works wonders). You can buy this at Walgreens or Babies R Us. This worked when no other creams, even prescriptions from the MD failed to work. This cleared a rash my twins had for a couple weeks in less than 3 days.

Best of luck to you both, J.

Yes, this has been known to happen with the introduction of not only milk, but other new foods. It happened with my son too with milk and he has really never had diaper rash otherwise (only once or twice with new foods). It will clear up as her system gets used to the milk. This doesn't sound like an allergy or anything - if that were the case she would have other systems in her body in general (rash, etc). So, keep with it - she's just not used to the milk yet.

1 / 3