Who Is Breastfeeding While Taking Meds for High Blood Pressure - If So, What???

I'm 10 days post-partum. I've had high blood pressure for about 10 years. While pregnant I was taking 250mg Methyldopa and my blood pressure was completely controlled. Since I delivered, my pressure has been up and my meds no longer work, even though my OB increased the dose to 500mg twice a day! I went to a new PCP (I recently moved here) and she had to look in a reference book to figure out what to do for me. She prescribed Vasotec 20mg per day and that isn't helping either. When I called her back she told me to relax, not to monitor my pressure so frequently and follow up with her next week. Unbelievable. So, my question is -what are people taking to control their blood pressure while nursing? (My OB was the one who sent me to a PCP - she doesn't manage meds for high blood pressure). Thanks.

I went to another PCP today and he said, "There isn't anything safe that I can give you. You will have to stop breast feeding and start formula". I was pissed beyond words. I went to a cardiologist and he prescribed Labateolol that I will start taking today. Thanks for all your input. A.

I had blood pressure problems after pregnancy and I went to an Internist. Personally, he seemed to have a better understanding than a family doctor/PCP on blood pressure issues, what caused them and how different medications worked to help with blood pressure. There are many different types and it took me tryiing 3-4 kinds to get one that worked for me. I do know that if you are breastfeeding, you only want to take meds that are safe for pregnancy so that it may be a little more difficult to find something but there are still so many different medications, you should really find someone that you are comfortable with that will work with you non-stop till you find one that works for you. I know it is such a scary thing when you feel you don't have control over it. Having an Internist that I really felt was looking for a good medication and also for underlying issues helped me alot. I say keep monitoring your pressure a couple times a day and do try to relax, you will find something that works for you soon! Best wishes!

I took Labetalol. Hope this helps.

Hello A.,
I am not a nursing mother . As a matter of fact those days are long gone - I am 53 yrs. old. However, I do take Hawthorne Berries to keep my blood pressure in control & maybe that might be something you could safely take to control yours.

I had the same issue with my 2nd baby. The doctor (my PCP) also prescribed Labetalol which was safe with nursing, when I followed up with my OB, she said that's what she uses as well with women who have high blood pressure during pregnancy. Hope that helps.

Due to pregnancy induced hypertension I was on 3 different hypertension medication post partum - Labetalol, Nifedipine and Propranolol which are all medications that are approved by AAP for use in breastfeeding mothers. I delayed feeding for 3 hours after taking Nifedipine.

If you take your blood pressure frequently and you're noticing it's high that's probably causing you stress and not helping your blood pressure. During my pregnancy I would get very anxious and scared about what my BP reading would be while watching the monitors and machines as the nurse took it every 3 hours (I was on hospital bedrest for the last 3 1/2 months of my pregnancy) that my blood pressure and heart rate would rise. Once they put the machine that the numbers read out behind me, just having it out of sight calmed me down. So I can imagine that if you are checking your blood pressure often and it's high it's likely going to cause you to be more anxious and stressed each time you do it.

I would recommend that you search for an internist who specializes in blood pressure/hypertension. After I delivered my baby my OB referred me to a family practice doctor who wasn't experienced with hypertension medicines (her words) and so she decided that she would just do a trial and error with my medication and when I asked her if they were safe for breastfeeding she was clueless. I didn't even bother getting prescriptions from her. I researched through my insurance company's provider directory and looked through local hospital clinics until I found someone experienced.

1 / 3