White Towels Now Pink ...

Hi Moms -
I made a basic laundry mistake and washed (and dried!) my white towels with a red one. My white towels are now pink and splotchy. Anything I can do? Is bleach the answer? if so, how much? Thanks!

I would not bleach the towels. They will end up disintegrating. I only use bleach on kitchen rags now- im tired of my towels falling apart and coming out holy!
You can try rit dye remover- but i never had that much luck with it.

Can you just leave them pink and use them in the back bath and buy new white ones for company?

Rit Color Remover has always worked for me. Try doing it in your tub. Use HOT water, add powder, let soak at least 15 mins, drain, rinse, soak again, drain, rinse. Wash as usual. The smell is horrid, but it's worth a shot. Good luck.

It might be too late for this, but there is a product that you put in the wash to soak up extra colors. My son says he saw a commercial for it- the bounce color catcher sheet.

Next time use Shout Color Catchers. They really do work.

Try soaking them in oxyclean powder.

You can use bleach if the towels are 100% cotton. If there is a synthectic fabric such as polyester, nylon, rayon they could turn yellow. You can also get a dye remover at the grocery store. I always use abut a quarter to half cup bleach in all my towels and sheets when I wash them. It kills any grems or mildew.

The other idea would be to buy a dye in a color you like and the dye all of them. Remember if you buy yellow, since they are already pink they become orange or a hue of orange. If you go with grean they come out a grey.

I'd go with the color catcher sheets. I think the brand is Bounce. I've used them a few times for cases like yours and they worked great. Be sure and put them on the soak cycle. Good luck!

I'd rewash them with probably about a cup of bleach. Might take two or three times, but you may get lucky the first time. Bleaching them wont make them weak, I bleach my white towels almost every time I wash them.

You'd have to use too much bleach and it would weaken the fibers. I'd use the Shout Color Catcher sheets and Arm & Hammer Oxiclean power gel laundry detergent. They both work well on their own and though you may have to wash the towels a couple of times this should work. Then continue to use the color catcher sheets each time you wash them...just in case.

RIT dye makes a color remover for laundry mistakes. I think I bought it at target. It really does work.

Hello, Bleach should take care of it. Depending on how pink they are, you might have to wash them in the bleach a couple of time.
K. K.

There may not be any hope. But here's my last-ditch remedy: Hot water (the hottest water you can get) in your washer, plus maybe 1/2 cup or more each of dry non-chlorine bleach some dishwasher (not laundry) detergent. Let your towels soak in it for at least an hour. Then wash as usual.

This might work, or it might not work, or it might ruin the fabric completely. But since you've messed up the towels anyhow, it won't hurt to try! And if the towels don't cooperate, save them for wiping up messes. Welcome to the pink-towel club! :^)

I use bleach, it should not take that much, maybe 1/2 cup but it REALLY REALLY depends on how much water your washer uses. If it is high efficiency then it will take a LOT less. If it is an older top loader I would start the hot water, add the bleach, let it fill part way then add the towels and wash on the longest setting. Then afterwards check them out, it is probably the best it will be.

Another idea if that doesn't work is to check the Dye area of the store and look for color remover. I think it stinks and it caused me to clog up in my sinus; and lungs but it worked the one time I used it for some thing.

There is a small box that you can buy at many grocery stores or large pharmacies such as Longs or Rite Aid called Rit Color Remover. They have a box just for fabrics that have been accidentally dyed by another piece of clothing and it works amazingly well. Here is a link on the product: www.amazon.com/Rit-Dye-Powder-Color-Remover/dp/B0012DNCXG