White Spots on 7 Yr Old Teeth

My 7 year old has white spots on her new pErmanent teeth. I asked the dentist about it and they said it was normal and that the spots would blend in with her teeth in time. This sounds "off" to me. Has anyone else had this issue?

I have those same spots and they did not go away and I have the dentist put a thick coat of composite over to blend the teeth to look the same color. Even if I bleach my spots stay the same. J.

The hygenist that mentioned high fevers is the best answer I saw here.

I had those spots on my permanent teeth due to a bad illness as a child. (It didn't help that I didn't recieve proper care either).

Not all of them have faded, but for the most part, they are gone. But I am slightly anal when it comes to my teeth. My teeth are also very weak due to my bad care as an infant.

I also know that flouride toothpaste has nothing to do with it. I barely had my teeth brushed as a young child.

As she grows older, I doubt any one will really notice. Especially with all the yellow stained teeth out there from coffee & cigs. Just make sure she takes good care of them now, so she will grow up taking care of them.

I think it's fluoride related. If your water is fluoridated you should not supplement with fluoride. Usually the dentist or pediatrician know what areas are fluoridated but check with your local water company. Also, you may be able to avoid the staining with your second child. My dentist only uses fluoride supplements from 4-6. My pediatrician started her at three when we moved. It's something to check into. I think the staining can be removed or may go away with time.

Yes, I got stains when i was 7 and still no luck. They still will not go away. I tried Baking soda, Peroxide and Baking Soda Whitening toothpaste. NOTHING!

I work in the dental field and have for 11 years now. The white spots are decalcifications in the enamel. Its usually caused by high fevers at a young age, when the permanent teeth are forming in the bone (toddler stage usually). The spots are not harmful in any way, just not esthetically pleasing. Sometimes they do fade or blend in over time, but they don't always go away. If its something that really bothers you, when she's older (teen ager) you can do some cosmetic bonding (like a filling) to mask the spots. Hope that helps.... good luck!

I had these spots on my teeth until I was about 12 or 13. My dentist said the same thing and they did blend over time. His advice is probably accurate.

I did and still do have white spots on my teeth. It's actualy a good thing, it's a build up of extra calcium.

A great majority of children have those white spots on their adult teeth, and they will go away. If you notice, when permanent adult teeth are coming in, they are also slightly scalloped at their leading edge in order to make it through the gums, and that goes away without anyone noticing they were even there. Same deal with the white spots.
Don't call attention to them, and neither your daughter nor anyone else will ever notice.

1 / 3