14 answers

White Spot on Toddler's teeth...has This Happened to Your Little One?

We have yet another concern regarding dd's teeth. Tonight I noticed a bright white spot close to the gumline on her front tooth. I ran to the computer and found out that:

a) this could be caused by too much flouride (we don't used flouridated toothpaste)

b)it may be the beginning of decay (although she drinks NO juice and I regularly clean her teeth, albeit it's usually a wrestling match to even get the toothbrush in the same vicinity as her)

Has anyone else had this happen? Is it reversible? Any treatment that can help? I do plan to call my dentist but I would like some personal experiences related. Thanks!

What can I do next?

Featured Answers

My hygienist told us that fluoride toothpaste is not dangerous--even if they swallow a small amount. According to her, a child would have to eat the whole tube to really experience negative effects from fluoride.

More Answers

Tooth demineralization is more and more common among toddlers... ours had white spots we didn't do anything about and it turned into demineralization, which will turn into decay. We gave him almost no fruit juice, dried fruit or sweets, and tried to brush his teeth often.

If that's whaat it is (and it might be just a growth mark or something else benign, as suggested by others) you've caught it at a good time. Find ped dentist (she's not too young) and get her cchecked out, or use a tooth-friendly substance like Xylitol.

Good luck!

1 mom found this helpful

I have read/heard that the white spot(s) could also be from demineralization of the enamel. Whenever there is a sudden or recent change in mineral consumption, it tends to show up in the teeth, hence the bright white spots. Another thought is, does she breathe out her mouth when sleeping or is she fighting a cold (which would cause her to breathe out of her mouth)? Just this morning, I woke up to notice that I had 2 white spots on my teeth. Due to my cold, I have been forced to breathe out of my mouth at night, which dries out the teeth causing the demineralization of the enamel to become more noticeable. The good news is that it should go away. But it's always worth checking with a dentist to make sure its not the start of tooth decay. Good luck!

1 mom found this helpful

S., I can only speak from my personal experience, not of my children. Could your child have fallen recently and struck her mouth? The reason I ask is, When I was young I took a nasty fall down the steps resulting in, what the dentist referred to as, "minor trauma" to my mouth. The end result was a white spot on my front permanent tooth. The dentist's explaination was that it was a calcium deposit that formed in an attempt to protect the tooth, or heal any damage to it that may have occured during the fall. Except for the spot, there have been no complications or any cause for concern. Just another perspective. Good Luck!

1 mom found this helpful

My daughter had the same thing. Her tooth with the white spot just came out (her first loose tooth). I'm curious to see if her adult tooth has the same discoloration. We were told that it was a calcium deposit on her tooth. The discoloration was there and there was nothing we could do about it.

Here is an article about teeth problem that may help

If she drinks tap water, it could be from that. Most water has fluoride added to it now, which is pretty toxic and can cause white spots on teeth (among other things).

Hope it improves!

I had the same concern with my son Alexander,two months ago,i decide to take him to de dentist and they clean and put floride on his theeth..they give us an appointment in 6 months for the same procedure...so dont worry to much but i will recomend you to take him to the dentist.

According to a recent article in Parenting magazine, pediatricians no longer recommend flouride for infants, as studies proved that babies who drank formula made with flouridated water got these white spots.

I would call the 'peed' and see if they want to see your LO, or have to see dentist.

Good luck!

My daughter had a white spot on her tooth at 18 months. As I had had discoloration in some teeth, due to tetracycline stains while my teeth were forming, I took her to the pediatric dentist. I forget the exact diagnosis...I think it also was related to meds while the teeth were forming... but it was something similar...nothing to worry about, and when she was much older the dentist did something to it, like a filling, so it's no longer noticeable.

Don't panic! Children's teeth are soft and can easily get stains and marks and chips on them. Before running to the computer, call your best resource. In this case, your dentist. They are the best source of information for your child's teeth.

K. B
mom to 5 including triplets

chat and events within 2 hour radius

Hi S., It could also be from a fall. Our oldest fell when she was two and actually forced two of her teeth back up into her gums. After a 10pm in a rainstorm drive to the Dentist and an xray all was fine as the teeth came back down within a couple of weeks. We were told however that her adult teeth may have a "white spot" or two as a result. She does and no one has ever noticed but me and her dentist of course. She & her sisters go every 6 months to the dentist and he does keep a close eye on those teeth just in case! If you don't go to a pediatric you might want to consult with one...kids teeth and mouths are different from adults. Best wishes.

I don't have any advice to give, but I do have a question for you. You mentioned that you don't use flouridated toothpaste. I am wondering what kind of toothpaste do you use? Except for buying the Oral-B training toothpaste, I have been unable to find anything made without flouride.

My 3 & 5 yr old's sometimes have white spots on their teeth. I am not really sure what the cause is, but after we brush them, they disapear. Even if you don't use fluoridated toothpaste, your drinking water may have it in there. The spots caused by fluoride are permanent, but I think you have to have a huge intake to cause the spots (topically will not cause it).

My hygienist told us that fluoride toothpaste is not dangerous--even if they swallow a small amount. According to her, a child would have to eat the whole tube to really experience negative effects from fluoride.

Required Fields

Our records show that we already have a Mamapedia or Mamasource account created for you under the email address you entered.

Please enter your Mamapedia or Mamasource password to continue signing in.

Required Fields

, you’re almost done...

Since this is the first time you are logging in to Mamapedia with Facebook Connect, please provide the following information so you can participate in the Mamapedia community.

As a member, you’ll receive optional email newsletters and community updates sent to you from Mamapedia, and your email address will never be shared with third parties.

By clicking "Continue to Mamapedia", I agree to the Mamapedia Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.