White Spot on Toddler's teeth...has This Happened to Your Little One?

We have yet another concern regarding dd's teeth. Tonight I noticed a bright white spot close to the gumline on her front tooth. I ran to the computer and found out that:

a) this could be caused by too much flouride (we don't used flouridated toothpaste)

b)it may be the beginning of decay (although she drinks NO juice and I regularly clean her teeth, albeit it's usually a wrestling match to even get the toothbrush in the same vicinity as her)

Has anyone else had this happen? Is it reversible? Any treatment that can help? I do plan to call my dentist but I would like some personal experiences related. Thanks!

My hygienist told us that fluoride toothpaste is not dangerous--even if they swallow a small amount. According to her, a child would have to eat the whole tube to really experience negative effects from fluoride.

Tooth demineralization is more and more common among toddlers... ours had white spots we didn't do anything about and it turned into demineralization, which will turn into decay. We gave him almost no fruit juice, dried fruit or sweets, and tried to brush his teeth often.

If that's whaat it is (and it might be just a growth mark or something else benign, as suggested by others) you've caught it at a good time. Find ped dentist (she's not too young) and get her cchecked out, or use a tooth-friendly substance like Xylitol.

I have read/heard that the white spot(s) could also be from demineralization of the enamel. Whenever there is a sudden or recent change in mineral consumption, it tends to show up in the teeth, hence the bright white spots. Another thought is, does she breathe out her mouth when sleeping or is she fighting a cold (which would cause her to breathe out of her mouth)? Just this morning, I woke up to notice that I had 2 white spots on my teeth. Due to my cold, I have been forced to breathe out of my mouth at night, which dries out the teeth causing the demineralization of the enamel to become more noticeable. The good news is that it should go away. But it's always worth checking with a dentist to make sure its not the start of tooth decay. Good luck!

S., I can only speak from my personal experience, not of my children. Could your child have fallen recently and struck her mouth? The reason I ask is, When I was young I took a nasty fall down the steps resulting in, what the dentist referred to as, "minor trauma" to my mouth. The end result was a white spot on my front permanent tooth. The dentist's explaination was that it was a calcium deposit that formed in an attempt to protect the tooth, or heal any damage to it that may have occured during the fall. Except for the spot, there have been no complications or any cause for concern. Just another perspective. Good Luck!

My daughter had the same thing. Her tooth with the white spot just came out (her first loose tooth). I'm curious to see if her adult tooth has the same discoloration. We were told that it was a calcium deposit on her tooth. The discoloration was there and there was nothing we could do about it.

Here is an article about teeth problem that may help
http://www.mothering.com/articles/growing_child/child_hea...

If she drinks tap water, it could be from that. Most water has fluoride added to it now, which is pretty toxic and can cause white spots on teeth (among other things).

Hope it improves!

Hello..!
I had the same concern with my son Alexander,two months ago,i decide to take him to de dentist and they clean and put floride on his theeth..they give us an appointment in 6 months for the same procedure...so dont worry to much but i will recomend you to take him to the dentist.

According to a recent article in Parenting magazine, pediatricians no longer recommend flouride for infants, as studies proved that babies who drank formula made with flouridated water got these white spots.

I would call the 'peed' and see if they want to see your LO, or have to see dentist.

1 / 3