White Elephant Gift Exchange Game

I'm responsible for planning our Annual Holiday Department Gathering at work. Every year we have a White Elephant Gift Exchange, and play a little game. We've done a question and answer game, with the person that answers the question correctly gets a gift, we've drawn a name/number for the gift, and it seems like there was another one that I can't think of right now. What I'm looking for are suggestions to different variations that people have played to this game. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

We did this last year with my DH family, and it was so much fun.
I printed off fake money with pics of everyone one it. I.E my nephew was the $1, my son was the $5, the whole fam was $100.... And then we held an auction. whom ever spent the most money on a gift "bought" it.
GL!

We always play the Mr. Wright game.
Every picks a gift, then the coordinator reads the following story - each time the word right or Left is spoken in the story, you pass the gift you have to the right or left. When the story ends, that is the gift you end up with.

The story:

Mr. WRIGHT was to take Mrs. WRIGHT RIGHT to the store to do some of her holiday shopping. As he LEFT in the car, he turned RIGHT out of the driveway. He had to go RIGHT back as he LEFT without Mrs. WRIGHT.

They both got in the car on the LEFT side as the RIGHT side door would not open. Mr. and Mrs. WRIGHT again LEFT for the store, turning RIGHT out of the driveway. An argument occurred about the RIGHT turn as Mrs. WRIGHT said that Mr. WRIGHT should have turned LEFT. Mr. WRIGHT kept insisting that he was RIGHT, but Mrs. WRIGHT kept insisting that the nicer department store was on the LEFT.

Two blocks away after another LEFT turn they discovered they had LEFT the credit cards at home. So, they made a LEFT turn, then a RIGHT to go back home to where they had LEFT the credit cards. As they turned RIGHT on to their street and LEFT into the driveway, Mrs. WRIGHT said "Let's just stay RIGHT here and shop for the RIGHT gifts over the internet".

They went LEFT into the kitchen to make the RIGHT cup of eggnog. Then they went RIGHT into the living room where Mrs. WRIGHT turned to her LEFT and said to Mr. WRIGHT, "I hope they have some good stuff LEFT."

Have fun!

I have done this with friends and we had a blast (of course it was after everyone had a couple of drinks too). We would take all the presents and put them in a pile, then, one by one you were blind folded and you had to pick your gift. When people walked in to the party with the gift, someone was there to take the gift away to no one saw any of the gifts ahead of time. We just drew number to see who would go when. Once you picked your gift blind folded you were stuck with that gift...no trading. Before any one could unwrap thier gift they had to state what the present was going to be used for...very funny to see what people come up with. Once you guess, then you could unwrap your gift. It had a lot of laughs when all said and done!

I have also been to one that was done more like pictionary, and it was really fun. You have people draw little cartoons, drawrings, whatever their abilities allow on index cards, and they put the answer on the gift tag. Whomever guesses right gets the gift with that answer on it. You can also have a theme for your drawrings if you want. For example if you work for a medical supply company, tell folks to draw related items, syringe, stethascope, etc.

Have fun!!!!!
L. =)

GL!

My in-laws would do this every Christmas and we played BINGO to determine who got to choose the gift 1st. We each could brought 2 gifts, so were able to choose 2 gifts...If I won the 1st game I'd choose the gift, if I also won the 2nd game (unlikely) I'd choose another gift...whoever won the 3rd gift could choose 1 of mine or pick an unwrapped one under the tree...so on and so forth. It was A LOT of fun, and you can buy the BINGO supplies cheap-I think at many Dollar Stores even!! We always had a good time with this version!! Good Luck and Happy Holidays.

So many great ideas have been given!! One I didn't see, that we have done before, is that we read "Twas the Night Before Christmas" and each time the word "and" is said, your pass your gift to the right. This works best if you are in some type of circle. At the end of the story you get the gift in your hands.

We draw numbers.

All of the gifts start out under the tree and who ever has #1 gets to go first. Then the #2 person has the choice to steal #1's gift or choose their own from under the tree. So on and so forth.

After all the gift-picking and stealing is done, person #1 gets the final choice to keep his/her gift or steal someone else's.

At first I didn't understand why #1 got the final choice, but they're the only person who didn't have the opportunity to steal a gift.

I hope this makes sense! Have Fun :)

You could try a "who has an item" twist to it. For example - who has a red pen - the first to produce it gets to pick a gift, who has a picture of their pet, who has a tissue, who has a Michigan quarter, etc. I'm sure you could come up with lots of things.

1 / 3