White Colored Bowel Movements

My 5 year old daughter recently had a bout of throwing up and diarrhea. When she had a normal bowel movement yesterday she had forgotten to flush. When I went in the bathroom and noticed that her stool looked white. Is this cause for concern? Has anyone experienced this with their children after the flu? I told her I needed to see her next "trip to the bathroom" but so far that hasn't happened. In the meantime I thought I would ask other moms.

WOW!!! So many responses. This is the first time that I had posted a request. Thank you all so much. The majority of you said to call her pediatrician so that is what I did. Due to my daughter having the flu and the next 2 bm's she had were normal she doesn't think there is any cause for concern but a result of the flu which can happen. I do however, have to check her stool to make sure it doesn't happen again. Thank you again for all your responses and your concern. That's what makes Mama Source so wonderful!!

My two older children have had this too. Also directly related to being sick. I wouldn't panic! If you want to go to the dr., go. It's always better to be safe than sorry, and it will give you peace of mind. But, if you wait it out a couple days and let her body regulate, it will stop. Being sick like that is hard on the body, and it completely empties you out. The idea that the emzymes aren't making it to the digested food makes a lot of sense. She'll be fine.

I don't wan tto scare you. but I think that you need to go have he cheeked by a doctor. My sisters daughter has a disorder that can show up in mych the same way. PLEASE don't freak just have her cheeked.

This could be a very serious medical condition, I am a mother of 4 grown children and Grandmother to 1- 6 mth old Grandchild, and I always say "better safe than sorry!" At the very least call the childs pediatrician and ask what they think, all white stools are uncommon and could be a sign of something serious. Good Luck and I hope this helps.

You need to tell your pediatrician, other moms should not be giving you medical advice. A simple phone call to the Dr.s office is all it takes.

i'm writing to you as a doctor and a mom. go to the doc! white or pale bm's are a sign that bilirubin made by the liver is not being excreted into stool. many issues can cause this so you need your doc to evaluate.

Hi J., my son also had white, soft stool here and there for 3 weeks. I talked to his pediatrician about it and he was not concerned about it at all. He was only concerned if it was white and powdery like chalk. But my son is only 14 months old so not sure if that would have a different meaning since your child is older. And my son's white stool was not related to flu. The dr. also said that he had white stool because everything he had been eating lately was white, like bread, rice, yogurt, etc...ultimately if you're worried, ask your dr or 24 hr nurse over the phone. Margie

Hi. I would not show your concern to you little one but call her Dr ASAP. They may want you to bring a sample of her stool in for further examination. For your sake and peace of mind Call the DOCTOR.

Yes, this flu was going around last winter. My daughter had it, so did I, my neighbor's baby, my friend's baby, and my sister's kids. Throwing up followed by white poop (SO WEIRD!). I had my baby's poop tested, but before they got the results back (normal), I learned about all those other children I knew also having those really white weird poops with their flus. So I'm betting that's what she's got.

Watch for this -- all of our kids had the flu, pooped white for a few days, got normal, then were throwing up AGAIN about a week later, only not as bad. It was like the crazy double whammy flu. Hopefully yours may avoid the second bout of vomiting. :)

Call you doctor. My daughter had white BM and the doctor wanted to see her right away. There could be a blockage in the bile ducts or a number of other problems. Even if the white BM is a one time occurance, better to be safe than sorry.

hello,
my son had a white bm while he was sick with the flu. the doctor said it was because "it" moved so quickly thru him. no worries since it was w/o reoccurrence.

1 / 3