My dad did this, he had leukemia and was neutropenic and it helped. He used every vegetable out there and added natural sugars like strawberries, peaches, blueberries, blackberries, apples bannas and such to help sweeten the taste a little bit (otherwise, avoid sugars b/c it can lower a wbc count). You can also make them into pasta sauces and soups (like pumpkin or butter nut squash)... which may actually be healthier because a lot of raw veggies can harvest bacteria that can make one with a weak immune system sick.
here are some suggestions to help build your immune system and avoid infection through diet, since a low wbc count can make it weak:
Many food items help boost immune function and white blood cell counts. For example:
Carrots and other red, yellow, orange, and dark-green leafy vegetables contain beta carotene which helps protect the immune system, especially the thymus gland. Beta carotene and other carotenes also strengthen white blood cell production, and foods rich in beta-carotene help the body better fight off infection.
Yogurt can be very beneficial for the immune system. It helps the body produce antibodies and strengthens white blood cells.
A cup of kale will give you your daily requirement of vitamin A. This is an antioxidant that helps your body fight cancer cells and is essential in the formation of white blood cells. Vitamin A also increases the ability of antibodies to respond to invaders.
People who eat more garlic have more natural killer white blood cells.
Other helpful foods include chicken, kale, almonds, guava, crab, dark grapes and navy beans.
Supplements can play a big role in boosting immune function and white blood cell counts. Some examples:
- Oleander extract in herbal supplement form. One herbal oleander based supplement was 100% effective in a clinical trial of raising white blood cell counts in HIV/AIDS patients with extremely compromised immune systems.
- Astragalus root helps stimulate white blood cells and protects against invading organisms. It also enhances production of the important natural compound interferon to fight against viruses.
- Zinc is necessary for white blood cell function and it acts as a catalyst in the immune system's killer response to foreign bodies.
- Vitamin C is an immune enhancer that helps white blood cells perform at their peak and quickens the immune system response.
- The trace mineral selenium is vital to the development and movement of white blood cells.
- Both Siberian ginseng (eleuthero) and Asian ginseng provide support for the immune system.
- Echinacea helps stimulate the immune system in a variety of ways, including increased white blood cell production.
- Green Tea also stimulates production of white blood cells.
Some other potent immune boosters are pau d arco, suma, medicinal mushrooms, beta glucans and aloe vera.
more ideas here: