Which is the most accurate pregnancy test while nursing?

Hi I am several days late on my period (I am on my 37th day) and feel a tad nauseous all though I am not receiving a positive on a home pregnancy test. I haven't had much stress or weight loss which normally messes with my period. I have also had dreams that I was pregnant. I am currently breastfeeding with an 8 month old, so maybe that is messing with my cycle although it hasn't thus far. Any thoughts??

Summary

The most accurate pregnancy test while nursing is to go to your OB and have a pregnancy test there. They can check for different chemicals and hormones which indicate pregnancy that normal over the counter stuff can't detect. It is VERY common to have a FALSE NEGATIVE test but very rare to have a False Positive test. At your OB they can draw blood, check other chemicals in urine, and even do an internal ultra sound if you are far enough along to detect a heart beat.

Thanks again for all your supportive answers!! I did have blood work done and I am not pregnant, so maybe nursing is messing with my cycle. I am still not starting a period and on day 41 or so... I feel incredibly healthy and I feel better knowing on a more advanced scientific level that I am not pregnant, since mother nature hasn't proven it to me otherwise. :) Thanks again for your support! C.

Wait another week and take another at home test. With my first I got a negative reading and then a week later I got a positive so just wait a week and try again.

I took a pregnancy test that didn't read very clearly so I called the company. They informed me, and doctors have confirmed, that a test will NOT give a false positive, but can give a false negative reading. Good luck!

I was still breastfeeding when my second child was 6 months and I too had the "feeling" that I was pregnant. It took 5 tests over a two week period to finally get a positive.

I would test in another couple of days....still no positive and still no AF, call your doctor. If you are pregnant and nursing you need to make sure you are getting proper care. Good luck!

When I was pregnant with my son, it took 13 days to get a positive result. I nearly lost my mind waiting! You may want to get a blood test at your OB/GYN as those results show up faster than the home tests. Take care and keep us posted!

Even though I was breastfeeding, I started having periods regularly when my son was 3 months old. When my son was about 6 mos. old, I didn't have a period for 3 mos. and I knew I wasn't pregnant. My OB/GYN had said that this is common when breastfeeding. However by the three month point, my hormones were really out of whack and causing severe depression, so they gave me some kind of hormone therapy to get my period back on track. Call your OB/GYN, if you haven't already to get her/his take on the situation.

You still could be pregnant! My mom showed negative with me and my sister. I am almost 23 and my baby sister is 3! There are only the two of us and never did my mom show positive. Some times women don't get those to read right. There aren't very many, but it does happen.

Breast feeding can alter it as well. I would just go to the doctor and get the test done, just to cover your bases and so you can prepare if you are. Good luck, I hope it works out in the best way for your family!

Hey well i THINK that you should check with your OBGYN Dr - but it could also be that your body is going thru some changes now that you are 37 (I just turned 37) I have heard that our body does change - right after a baby is the most fertile time , it has only been 8 months so I would try your Dr for a test there - Sorry not much help just wanted to lend some support - Good luck !

I've heard that a faint line indicates positive. You can have negative results that are wrong - a false negative(meaning you are pregant when the test says you're not) but you can't get a false positive (indicating you are pregnant when you are not).

I agree with everyone, wait, retest, call your doctor.

Then let us know!

C., It could go either way. Nursing can interrupt your cycle at any time. Give yourself a few more days and try another test.

1 / 3