Which Formula Is BEST for My 11 Wk Old?

I currently am nursing & I don't have much time to pump during the day. I am wanting to supplement my baby with a formula for the times I need to be gone from her but I am not sure which one is best for her. There are so many brands to choose from. I used Enfamil with my 1st child & gave my lil one now some Similac. Since I am out to buy another can to have "JUST IN CASE", I am unsure of which one is closest to breast milk & would be best for her. What did you other mama's use? Thanks!

I saw these recently posted on Environmental Working Group:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBwllCPHgn4

(scroll way down on this page)http://www.enviroblog.org/2009/04/infant-formula-how-to-c...

All formula is made the same nutritionally. Therefore, all of them are basically the same. If you looked at the labels I don't think you'd see much difference. I use Similac and have no issues with it. My Drs recommend Similac, Good Start or Emfamil.

Hello SP,

Check with your doctor, but I read once all infant formulas were required to have the same nutritional values, including Brand X formula. The question lies in how your daughter reacts to the formula.

Good Luck-

R. Magby

SP,

We went the the target version of enfamil with both of my kids. It's the same nutrition but 1/3-1/2 of the price of the name brand.

**Edit on Oct 29: Whatever brand you choose to use make sure you get the one that is geared for your baby's age. The target brand we used had identical cans for I think it was birth to 6 or 9 months and then for the older age. The only difference between the cans was the color of the lid.

I second Megan's opinion that using formula is a slippery slope. I fell ill a few weeks back and used formula so that I could finally take some cold medicine and get better. It completely zapped me dry. I'm currently trying to get my milk production back, but it's a lot of hard work now.

As far as which formula, we chose to go with the blue Simulac. My pediatrician recommended it (my baby was a little underweight with breastfeeding alone). She responded well to it as long as it was the right temperature (too cold and she'd make an face and spit it out). I also would recommend using the powder over the liquid kind. Simulac comes in handy 8oz pre-made bottles for when you're on the road (just soak in hot water or buy a re-usable bottle warmer), or you can get powder packs that make up a 4oz bottle by just adding water. Considering your baby's age, a 4oz. bottle is going to be plenty. Much more than that and you'll be dealing with a lot of spit up. For at home, I'd recommend the big tub of powder formula. Make up some warm water, add the formula and you're good to go.

Personally, I haven't tried any other types of formula. I trusted my pediatrician's recommendation as well as my own research. We aren't using formula full time, so I figure it's worth the expense. Heck, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Right?

I used Similac since my twins were 3 weeks old. We tried the Costco brand but it seemed to make them spit up a little more. I was eventually able to use the Costco brand when they got a little older. Thank goodness! It was so much cheaper than Similac or Enfamil. Just and FYI....Costco also sells the Similac and and Enfamil. Not sure of the price comparison. I haven't had to buy that for some time now. Good Luck!!!

Good Start is a miracle formula. Love it.

Similac and Enfamil are basically the same just different manufacturers. I am using Similac now but wish I had used Enfamil, which I used for my other 2 kids, BECAUSE Enfamil will actually send you free samples and coupons in the mail. I have not been able to get a SINGLE coupon for Similac...

Go with Enfamil :)

I used both breast and bottle for the first 3 months, and then formula only after that with both my boys (for diffrent reasons each time that had nothing to do with the use of formula in and of itself). I used Enfamil lipil, but think that most are the same nutritionally. My boys liked the smooth texture of this one. If she tends to spit up more with the formula, go to one for sensitive tummies, make sure you use a slow flow nipple to start, and burp after every once or so. Once she gets used to the bottles flow rate and the formula the spit up should become less. I always made sure to burp at least every 2 oz since they do tend to swallow more are with a bottle.

1 / 3