Where Would You Go for a 4-Day Mini-Vacation?

I am looking for suggestions for a long weekend (Thursday-Sunday) getaway in October (the weekend before Halloween). This is without kids (first time in 9 years!!) for a 10th anniversary gift to ourselves. We both love the beach, but I know it could be storm season in a lot of southern/Carribean locations at that time of year - we only have a few days, so I'd like to choose somewhere that good weather is a probability. We'd be willing to go international, but not too far because I don't want travel time to seriously cut into my lounging time. We'd also be interested in thinking about a southwestern location - we used to live in Phoenix and loved it - but seem stuck for ideas. We're not big sports people, but some activities/entertainment would be great. We have some money to use for this, but not a huge amount. Maybe an all-inclusive resort would be our best bet? I know this seems like I've never traveled before, which is not the case, but we have family all over the world and always go to visit them so we never have to work out these details. This time we're purposely not going to go to see family - this is just for us! :)
Any insight or ideas would be so appreciated. Can you recommend a specific place/resort? Where would you go for a 4-day vacation?

This isn't the beach, but my husband and I have gone to the wine country in California (Napa/Sonoma) and it was awesome! The wineries are beautiful and the food there is phenominal. We also drove to the redwood forests and went hiking for a day and then to the coast for dinner on the water. It is a wonderful, romantic trip that can be done in a long weekend without feeling rushed. Wherever you go, I hope you have fun! I'm jealous! ;-)

Hi K.---For me, I think I would stay a bit closer to home for a 4 day weekend. Otherwise, you will spend nearly 2 of those days travelling.

Start looking around your area for great b&b's, somewhere near something fun like vineyards. I live in Michigan and my husband and I have decided to take weekend getaways exploring harbor towns and lighthouses, first in Michigan and then we'll expand to the rest of the great lakes.

There is probably no end of ideas...just let your imagination run wild. Good luck and have lots of fun. D.

If you like wine, the wineries in VA are awesome, and there are great romance packages with bed and breakfasts - the colors that time of year would be great and you could drive if you wanted to. Check out www.virginiawine.org.

Cheers,

not in any particular order:

Chicago
New Orleans
New York
Napa Valley
Destin (might be too cool at the end of October) but beautiful beaches and water.
Miami

Last year we visited Santa Fe, New Mexico. It's a beautiful little romantic town with many things to see. I love the St. Francis Cathedral and Loretto Chapel. There are many nice restaurants, art galleries, local artist of all sorts, clothing stores. Whether you are a shopper or not, It's a good place to just walk around. I suggest going to the visitors bureau if you would like to go on a hike outside the city. I think Santa Fe would be perfect for a mini holiday.

Happy 10th Anniversary and many more!

Blessings.....

If I had four solo days with my husband in late October, I would head straight to the Epcot Food and Wine Festival in Orlando. We went last year and had a great time. Very non-crowded Disney time, the food was phenomenal! I'm jealous:)

Newport, RI

Check out their tourism website... we went for 5 days and it was AMAZING!

Take a short cruise. New York has plenty. Go to cheapcaribbean.com. The have lots of 4-day getaways that include airfare. I would recommend their 99 hour weekend sales (99 hours is how long the sale lasts).

Good luck to you and yours.

1 / 3