Where to Go for Our Anniversary

My husband and I will be married 10 years in March. I want to surprise him with a small getaway but just overnight-I want to stay in Illinois and maybe just go to a nice hotel with things for us to do around the hotel-I dont usually go anywhere without the kids so it will be hard for me but knows he will love it and we really need this time alone-Does anyone have any ideas on a nice hotel or anything to do? I want to make it a fun day and then go to the hotel but I dont want to go to the sybaris--Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated--thanks

You might want to consider The Herrington in downtown Geneva. It's not too far from LITH. They also have a a wonderful spa and restaurant. The location is nice because you are within walking distance of lots of shops, restaurants and bars. I would checkout the reviews on tripadvisor.com and see if it's what you are looking for. Good luck and happy anniversary.

We live in Woodstock and on our tenth anniversary we chose to go up north to a bed and breakfast in Watertown WI. Of course that was 15 years ago but I look back at that time away just the two of us in peace and quite and it was great. We visited Holy Hill and On our way back home we stopped at Old World Wisconsin. We had a 4 year old at that time and he stayed with my parents. Our Anniversary is in June so it was a little warmer but just being together along is the great thing.

I know it is not in Illinois but the Grand Geneva Resort in Lake Geneva is a fun place to go. They have a spa and many different restaurants at the resort. Or I recently stayed at the Chicago Hilton and walked around downtown. Good luck and congrats on the marriage!

The Marriott Lincolnshire Resort has a wonderful theater if you enjoy musicals. You might get a one-stop-shop with dinner, entertainment and hotel all in one.

I know you said you didn't want to go to the Sybaris, however if you have never been there you might want to reconsider. My husband and I just returned from a night at the one just outside Milwaukee and it was SO romantic! I had never wanted to go there thinking it was kind of sleezy...but to the contrary it's perfect! Our suite had a HUGE jacuzzi tub, fireplace, beautiful 92 degree pool, massage chair, steam room, etc. plus a mini kitchen perfect for bringing your own snacks, refreshments, etc. If you can go on a Sunday night (or other week night) you save a ton of money, plus they let us check in early and check out late at no additional charge. The Bayshore Mall is just 15 minutes away with a bunch of nice restaurants (Cheesecake Factory, BD's Mongolian Grill, etc.) and more shops than you'll be able to get to. This is the 2nd time we've gone and my husband is actually the one who booked it this time...he LOVES going there and you really feel a million miles away from home. We both strongly recommend it and I guarantee you'll both love it!

p.s. I am a TOTAL clean freak when it comes to hotels and everything was immaculate! The tub was SPOTLESS which is rare in even the nicest of hotels!

1 / 3