Where to Find a Birthdaycake That Is Allergy Free

my son is 8monts old and i was wanting to know if there is any cake mixes that can be used that dont have oat,dairy,eggs,soy,wheat,orange,peanut,or treenuts, and also where to find some foods for him

Hello L.,

www.reallygreatfoods.com has some wonderful gluten-free cakes (wheat-free, soy-free) and you can use egg replacer.

one recommendation: read every label, every time.
~Carmen~

www.wholesomebabyfood.com/

I found some great recipes on this site.... I used a carrot cake recipe for my daughter--- it was very dense and moist and she loved it!

My son will be two next week. He has egg, milk, all nuts, soy and pepper allergies that are severe and milder allergies to all the grains. I found an allergen free cake mix online last year, but my friend just gave me this recipe for "wacky cake" I am going to use this year - I will have to login to my other email account to get it for you. We decorated his cake with Trix since it is made out of corn, simple frosting of powdered sugar and water or rice milk. What I do with recipes is I change ingredients so for eggs I use an egg substitue powder, I found it at a health food store. I use Rice milk for milk. I use rice flour for flour - you can find it at Meijers near the gluten free food. I use corn oil for oil to avoid soy. That is what he has always drank is rice milk since he can't have anything else. You have to read the ingredients on rice milk, most brands have soy in them but there are a couple that don't, the one I use is Westsoy rice milk - funny cause soy is in the name of the brand.

Great source for food for him is www.GlutenFreeMall.com, you can put in all his allergens and bring back food he can have. You can even get him brownies and cookies!!

I have a blog where I share allergen-free recipes as I come up with them. http://www.mothercupboards.net/my-blog.html

Wacky Cake - Alice Salmon gave to me, not sure where originated from
"Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix the following dry ingredients in a 9" x 13" pan: 3 cups Rice Flour
2 cups Sugar
5 TBSP Cocoa
2 tsp Baking Soda
Punch 3 dents/holes in the dry mixture and add the following liquids:
#1 - 2 TBSP Vinegar
#2 - 3/4 cup Oil (I use corn oil to avoide soy)
#3 - 2 tsp Vanilla Cover this all with 2 cups of Water and mix thoroughly (a silicone spatula works great to scrape the sides of the pan to make sure you don't have any powder pockets left before baking). If you forget the water you'll get brownies instead of cake! Bake for 30 - 45 minutes, stick middle of cake w/ knife or toothpick to test. This cake is a sticky one, so don't expect the pieces to come out clean! The kids' (and many adults') favorite part of this cake is scraping the "gunk" from the pan to eat."

Hello L.,

~Carmen~

Hi L., My cousin has a lot of the same allergies. My aunt has found quite a few items at Kroger. She hasn't found a cake but has been able to make a cake from ingredients she found. Also, there is an online site but I can't remember the link. If I do, I will send it to you.

I use Bob's Red Mill. I can get most of their mixes locally (near Jackson) at Country market/Polly's. But the website is www.bobsredmill.com

That's tough starting out life allergic to so much. Is your pediatrician helping understand how to strengthen your son's immune system?

Are you also dealing with asthma with your son?

warmly, M.

Locally check Hiller's. They have part of an isle that is dedicated to wheat, gluten, egg, nut, etc. allergy mixes...
brownies, cakes, cookies, breads!!!!

I make a lot of our food from scratch to work around my guys allergies.
The gluten free goddess blog is a great resource for making your own. I just made her vanilla cupcakes and they were very good. Here's the link to all the sweets.
glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2008/05/gluten-free-dessert-recipes.html
She's also allergic to a ton of other stuff, so I think this would really work for you.
Good luck, A. H

My son is allergic to eggs and dairy, I just find it easier to make all my own desserts. You can check out Meijers, they have a gluten free section, and a lot of times, the batter will also be dairy and egg free. Soy is going to be the tricky one. I would check out cherry brook kitchen, they have alot of stuff you can order from. Also, check out Healthy Harvest if you are from the Grand Rapids area. I would also look at your library. I've gotten at least five cookbooks from there that are allergy friendly:) Good luck, this will get easier as it goes along.

I make this chocolate cake for celebrations with friends because many of them are vegan:

No Egg Chocolate Cake

In a mixing bowl put 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour,
1 C sugar, 1 tsp. baking soda, 3 T cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp. salt. Stir together then add 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 1 T vinegar, 1 tsp. vanilla. Pour 1 cup of cold water over all and mix thoroughly, scraping sides often.

Pour into 8 inch square pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.

The recipe does double easily, and I have made it in round pans, as well.

There is also a book called "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World" that may have some good recipes for you to use, too.

Best of luck!

1 / 3