Where to Do File Your Taxes

I have been filing my taxes myself for a couple of years now. I have been usines TurboTax. I hate having to spend money buying it every year. Has anyone tried that TaxAct online? It says it's free, but I'm kinda skeptical and also afraid of identity theft.

I have used TaxAct online for the past 2-3 years with no problems, and no compromised info, no later spam email, etc. Before I became a SAHM, I was a tax accountant full time, and I have found this to be a trustworthy product. As I recall, they ask you a couple times if you want to upgrade to the deluxe addition to get advice on certain things. For the average taxpayer, this simply isn't necessary, so just click no. I filed electronically through them and got my refunds quickly.

Some other options:

If you make less than $54,000 a year, you can file for free via "free file" on the IRS website. Here's the direct link http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=118986,00.html. If your Adjusted gross income is over $54,000 a year, they also have low cost e-file programs offered through a variety of vendors (most $10 or less) http://www.irs.gov/efile/lists/0,,id=101223,00.html

If you live in Illinois, you can efile for free right off their website: http://www.revenue.state.il.us/

Other states may have similar options.

I use H&R block online tax cut, its 14.95 and it saves your previous years returns under your login id.

Hi Brenda,

I work (PT) for H&R Block and they also have a tax program that you can do online. With H&R Block tax software, you can complete your tax return yourself and ALWAYS feel free to stop into an office and speak with someone should you have any questions. We are trained to review the tax return and will stand behind all of our products. Having someone to talk to is one of our advantages over the competitor.

Don'y use H&R Block Online if you want something for free. They do charge you. They don't tell you upfront, but they will charge. I can't remember how much. We bought TurboTax with the state at Best Buy. They have great sales at those stores right now. Tax software will be on sale right up until April. You can also do TurboTax online. You can always get the forms from the library and do the old fashioned paper filing. It doesn't cost you anything. You may not get all the deductions you have coming to you though.

I've been using TaxAct since about 2000 or 2001 and never had any problems. It also saves your return every year. I think it is great. The way for it to be free is if you don't print out your return. You can copy the information longhand into a tax form and file it via snail mail. However for the amount of money they charge to file both State & Federal (I believe it is less than $20), I find that it is worth it to file through them electronically. My husband loves that I spend a few hours on the computer and we get a check in our account a few weeks later! Good Luck.

We have State Farm insurance and if you go online at www.statefarm.com you can file your taxes for free. There is a link that takes you to Turbo Tax. My agent said that its free to anyone. I'm not sure about that but I just did my sons yesterday and it didn't cost anything. Its worth a try to check it out!
Good Luck.

I have used Turbo Tax online for the past few years. Depending on your income, it is free to file. If your income is too high, it's free to prepare, but costs 29.95(?) to file. You also have to pay for the state filing. I am not sure if TaxAct is the same, but as far as identity theft, I have not had any problems filing online.

I used TaxAct last year and this year and have been completely happy with the product. It is pretty similar to Turbo Tax only much cheaper!

1 / 3