R.L. asks from Frisco, TX on July 27, 2007
R. answers from Dallas on July 27, 2007
I'm fond of the ring sling types. I have the Maya wrap and love it but all ring slings are viturally the same.. the over the shoulder baby holder, the kangaroo wrap, etc.. There's a store in Allen where you can get different slings and they have ring slings. www.breesbums.com She sells out of her house I think. Also, the Mother's Gift store at Plano Presby has slings but I'm not a big fan of those but some people like them and to each her own. The things I look for in a sling are:
1) is the material breathable fabric? (you don't want your baby sweating to peices in there! Cotton, linen type fabrics are best)
2) does it have rails? (padded rails look like extra comfort for baby and sometimes they even sew a little pillow inside... but really it ends up closing around your baby making them even hotter and potentially compromising their breathing!)
3) How easy is it to use and can hubby wear it too? (I hate hotslings because they have sizes. Ring slings adjust to anyone so hubby, grandma, the babysitter.. anyone can use it!)
4) how long can I use it? (Ring slings grow with your kiddo too and offer LOTS of ways to carry baby. My 10day old likes to ride facing my chest with her head near my shoulder. I can also carry her in a cradle hold. My 2 year old likes to ride in it on my hip and my 6 year old can ride in it strapped to my husband's back! It's VERY versatile and lasts FOREVER!)
5) Is it comfortable? (My sling has shoulder padding for me, some slings have more than others. I prefer the padded shoulder, I think it helps distribute the weight better)
Good luck in your selection process!
N.M. answers from Dallas on July 27, 2007
I had the Infantino Slingrider. I loved mine. I used this thing until my son was too big to fit it. Lol! I also used my Baby BJorn front carrier as well. It would hide my son so when I was in the mall people would be craning their necks to look inside. He would sleep in it forever. Its got tons of cushioning and is very soft. It sat right at my stomach and when I walked it gave the effect of the womb. It was a great product and I'm keeping it to use for my next bundle of joy.
My husband also loved to use it. It wasn't too girly and it worked well on him.
Hope this helps... Good luck! :)
A.H. answers from Dallas on July 31, 2007
I bought mine at A Mother's Gift (inside of Plano Presby Hospital). It is a Swankie Blankie brand and I love it. I also have a Snuggli carrier that I use when I walk the dog but I use the sling all over town.
C.W. answers from Dallas on July 31, 2007
The Nesting Place in Grapevine carries Hotslings. I have one and love it!
J.M. answers from Dallas on September 30, 2007
I have one that is wonderful and it goes from newborn up to 25 pounds. I have two of them but I am selling one of them for 10 bucks. I have a booklet and the cd that goes with them. Check out hotslings.com to see what type of sling I have. ###-###-#### if you are interested. 4301 Saginaw Lane Carrollton TX 75010
M.W. answers from Dallas on July 27, 2007
We loved our Moby Wrap. Both my husband and I were able to use it comfortably.
T.C. answers from Dallas on August 02, 2007
I've seen them at Targets & Babies R Us. I actually bought one for my infant & ended up returning it. My infanty did not like it all & she didn't look very comfortable in it either.
I'm glad that I returned it too....I found out a couple of months later that it had been recalled due to the buckle breaking.