Where to Buy Inexpensive Girl's Hair Accessories

I have 3 daughters and consequently need a lot of hair barrettes (they seem to go missing at a crazy rate!) Does anyone know where I can buy a large selection of colorful metal kids barrettes for an inexpensive price? (either online or in-store). Even at Walmart and Target, the barrettes seem pretty expensive when I need so many! I'd really appreciate any advice you have for me.

Thanks so much for all your helpful responses. The 99c store near us never had many barrettes butI asked my mom to go to her local dollar store and she got us 50+ barrettes for less than $5.

Family dollar or even the 99cent store, greenbacks.. Just llok at the items they do have some cheap stuff but then they do have some nice stuff that last longer then a day or 2

If you don't mind a little creativity, I'd get some stuff at the craft store. This is what I used to do as a child. Get a bag of barrette blanks and some colorful ribbon and go to town. A simple barrette would be to glue a strip of ribbon to the barrette blank, folding under the ends. A simple bow is to double some ribbon (and a bit more) the size of the barrette, glue ends together, a smaller strip of ribbon in the middle, Voila a bow. Glue on barrette. Hot glue works fast, but melts in hot sun. I like to use a fast drying Tacky Glue.

Your girls can also get into it as well. The nice thing about making your own is that you can match an outfit if you so wanted to. It is real easy and doesn't take a lot of time, and is very cheap.

i know you said walmart was still a little expensive. but, did you look in the girls clothing dept? they have a accessorie rack full of barrets, plastic rubber-bands, hair ties....they range from 1.97-2.97. i know that in the health and beauty dept, where the generaly sell all the accessories, its pretty expensive. so, if you havent already tried in the girls dept, you should give it a shot.

Hi H.. I have an idea for your 2 and 6 year olds. My twins never wore the beautiful bow clips I bought them. I have 2 sets of large bows in lavender, pink, white, red, black and yellow. I bought them brand new and they are still in that condition. Paid $5.00 each. Please email me if you're interested in them, because I'm selling them for only $1.00 each.

Thanks,
R.

Try the dollar stores, Big Lots, swap meets, etc.

I have a friend who makes hairbows and other accessories for girls. You can check out her website at www.classychicbowtique.com I think if you mention mamasource she will give you a %off your order or some kind of special.

Kid 2 Kid at I-10 and Ray. They have cute stuff.

Hi H., I love to buy my girls hair accesories and your right, they get pricey. I have wonderful luck at Dollar Tree. They even have faded glory (walmart) and circo (target) brand hair accessories some times. The selection is great and changes frequently.

Supprisingly, some dollar stores sell hair accessories for cheap. They get the job done for a lot cheaper.

I have always had good luck at Big Lots.

i'd try big lots, the 99 cent store, the dollar store, places like that

If you are looking for truly creative and beautiful bows and barrettes, headbands and ponytails. Check out etsy.com It is a wonderful world of handmade items with 1000's of people that create and sell. Etsy artisians are wonderful!

I too have had great luck at the dollar tree and also Beall's. they are located all throughout the valley and some in nicer condition than others but I literllay found cosmetic bags that were full of hair barrettes and ties for VERY CHEAP at Beall's. The dollar spot at most Targets also carry head bands and barrettes from time to time if you check it out when you are there. It changes merchandise pretty frequently.

H.,
I also have three daughters as well. I used to go to Claire's at the mall and that was a small fortune. The ones at Walmart ant Target are also expensive. I found a 99 cent store at 83rd avenue and Thunderbird that offers a great selection of metal barrettes and plastic ones as well as pony tail holders.Most of the brands are goody and they even had some disney brands. I am not sure if you live close to this store or not but it is worth checking it out. They have quite a few styles ,colors, and brands to choose from. Also the Anthem outlet mall( I-17 and anthem way) has an outlet for Claire's boutique and they usally have all the same stuff at a discounted price or buy 2 get 1 free. I hope this was of use to you .Good Luck!!!

R.

Dollar Tree has the best selection around! They have the cutest headbands and barrettes right now. Don't get discouraged if one doesn't have what you are looking for, try another location and you might be surprised to find that they have more of a selection.

The .99cent only store has some as well, but theirs tend to be more character barrettes and I am not that into those.

One more suggestion. Sally Beauty supply sells alligator clips in a large box for $5.00. I bought a container of scrapbooking flowers and coordinating brads sold right by the flowers. Stick a brad through the hole of the flower and flatten the brad. Hot glue the flower to the alligator clip and VOILA you have a new flower barrette. You can also cover the alligator clips with a small piece of ribbon for real cheap. I love these handmade options as they are fast, easy and cheap! Here are a few links on how to make the barrettes-I don't know this person, just happened upon the blog.

http://treyandlucy.blogspot.com/2008/04/cut-piece-of-ribb...

http://treyandlucy.blogspot.com/2009/04/easy-spring-hair-...