Where Does Elf on a Shelf Come From? You or Santa?

My mom wants to get the kids an Elf on the Shelf for St Nick day, but I thought he came from Santa. What does the story say?

Thanks everyone!

Our Elf on the Shelf shows up, usually on Thanksgiving day or the next morning. He is sent by Santa to ensure that the kiddos stay on their best behavior during the holiday season. The children can look at him and talk to him, but can't touch him (it is in the book). Our Elf (Bob the Elf) likes to move around the house from time to time to be sure to keep the kiddos on their toes. It is fun to see them look for him if he isn't where he was the night before. It is a fun tradition in our family.

NO it is not for St. Nick day.
It is for Christmas... it is "Santa's" helper etc.
It is for Christmas time... that is why, it is sold, during the holidays before Christmas... and the book says Santa, he helps keep an eye on children to tell Santa etc.
He is Santa's "scout."

Sorry if I got confused. But there is a "St. Nick Day" type tradition... but it is different than from Christmas day and what the Elf is for... per keeping an eye out for Santa and the Elf goes back to the North Pole etc.

We do ours Thanksgiving. He basically watches over her and makes sure she is doing things to get her on the "nice list". Then he goes back to north pole after Christmas Day.

You could say Santa dropped it off early so he could keep tabs on them! :)

I don't even know what Elf on the Shelf is.
Can someone help me out on this one?

Thanks S.H.!

I had never heard of this before.

The elf simply shows up on a shelf in your house. Santa "sends" him!!

Last year was our first year with the elf. I think he came the day after Thanksgiving. He was sitting in a high window sill and his accompanying book was on the coffee table. My husband and I acted surprised (in front of our son) to see the book on the coffee table. We asked each other and our son who put it there. No one admitted doing so. So, I picked up the book with a curious look on my face and started reading it out loud. Our son was so "into" it. After reading a bit, we all realized that we had a visitor in the house somewhere and started looking for him. My son spotted him. "Look! Up there! It's one of Santa's elves!" I asked son what he thought he was doing up there. He said, "Maybe the book will tell us." So, we finished reading the book together, named him George, and had fun looking for him each morning until Christmas day he was gone. His job was done.

I can't wait until his arrival this year!!!

Elf on the Shelf is great. He comes from the North Pole. Santa sends him...special assigned for every little boy and girl. Your child will be able to pick out his or her own very special name for the Elf. He keeps an eye on them up until Christmas day. Reporting back every night to Santa.Telling him if they have been naughty or nice. Then returning before every morning-picking a different place of course to continue his "Duties" helping Santa by keeping an eye on the child. The children can not touch the Elf...it will cause him to lose him magic. The children can talk to the Elf. The Elf can not talk back, but can tell Santa any wishes the child may have when he or she returns to the North Pole that night. I love this tradition. Just started this year and my daughter loves her Elf. Keep an eye out for the TV show about "Elf on the shelf" it is very cute.

1 / 3