Where Do You Set Your Thermostat at Night?

I would like to know what parents set their thermostats to at night. I prefer to have it cooler, however my husband feels it is too cold for our 9 month old. Last night he had it so hot in the house I couldnt sleep! I was told to keep the house a bit cooler at night by a doctor, but for what reason, I am not sure... any ideas?

We like it cold, so we set it at 63. We have an 11 mo old and a 2.5 yr old. They have never seemed cold to me. Remember that if you get the temp too hot, it can be associated with SIDS. I don't know what too hot is, but just keep that in mind. Hope this helps!

We have area heaters in each kid's room so we don't have to heat the entire house to be warmer for them, just their rooms. That would seem a good compromise.

It's important to remember that it's not necessarily the number, but what your house feels like. If the thermostat is in the hallway, is that really the temperature in the bedroom? Is your baby's bedroom and your bedroom the same temperature? (Because our baby's door is closed, and ours isn't, his room is much warmer than ours at night.)

Studies show that turning your thermostat down by 1 degree for 8 hours a day will save 1% on your heating bill. (I give home energy seminars.)

I also put many layers on my baby at night: onesie, thin one-piece with feet, thick sleeper & sleep bag. This lets us turn the temperature down to a fairly cool temperature in our house. He sleeps best when he has several layers on.

On my blog I wrote about setting the right temperature for your house: Another question I get a lot is "what temperature should I set my thermostat to?" You need to set it to the temperature comfortable for your household. I find that temperature is very subjective, so you need to find the temperatures that work for you and your family. My favorite way to figure out the right temperature is to run a little experiment: without telling the other people who live in your house, every few days turn the temperature down 1 degree. When the other residents complain that it's too cold, turn the temperature back up 1 degree. Bingo, you've found the right temperature for your family. The same works for the nighttime temperature. As a starting point Energy Star suggests that you should turn the temperature down at least 8 degrees for the most efficiency.

I don't think I'm supposed to post my blog URL here, but it's in my profile.

A.

Cooler temps help you avoid germs. They thrive in warmer spaces & while you're all breathing at night in your nice warm beds in your nice warm rooms (probably w/mouthes open) you're sucking in & pushing out all sorts of funky stuff.
Throw baby in warmer jammies, put an extra blanket on if need be & turn the thermostat down. Bonus, your heating bill will be lower!
Our house is set at 68 constantly. At night, because our house isn't insulated well, our boys' rooms down the hall are probably 5 deg colder than that so when it dips really cold outside I put our insanely safe space heater on a stand so it's blowing toward both of their rooms (doors are on the same side so this works). In the summer hubby likes it freezing (this is our first year w/AC)-no more than 67 or 68 & I go outside to defrost.

When it's colder out we set the thermostat at 66 degrees, put baby in a cozy pajama sleer with the feet as he kicks his blankets off at night and he has a heater in his room. We keep a thermometer in there to ensure that it never gets over 70 degrees in there as I think that is the temperature to stay near to avoid SIDS.

Warmer climate breeds more germs and increases allergies such as dust and dust mites. To reduce these in anyone a house should be properly ventilated and humidified and it is recommended that a house be kept below 70 degrees. Dust mites thrive in higher temperatures so by increasing the temperature you are also increasing the amount of dust mite feces that you breath in especially in the winter when homes are closed up to keep out the cold. It is better to put on a sweater and keep the temp below 70 than it is to increase it and increase allergy, asthma and other germs like colds and flu. Most things like to breed at higher temps. I think your daughter is plenty old enough to sleep in a 68 degree house. Mine all did and they did just fine, in fact most of them kicked off the covers. Just think of the energy savings as well...

We keep our house at 64 or 65 during the night, depending on what the girls are sleeping in. We did keep it a little warmer when they were babies, 65 or 66. They would sleep in fleece sleepers and sleepsacks which kept them warm at night. From what I understand, making sure your baby is not too warm is a SIDS prevention. Kind of like putting them to sleep on their backs.

Hope this helps. I think we all sleep alot better with the house cooler.

I have a one year old and have always kept the temperature at 68. I just put her in a light pajama (not fleece) then a fleece sleeper.

I read that babies like cooler temperatures at night, and studies show that SIDS deaths are more likely with higher temperatures. We keep ours set at 68 at night.

1 / 3