Where Do You Position Your Carseats?

We have a 17 month old son and are expecting a brother or sister for him in late June. I am not sure where to position the carseats in our car! Do I put the new babe directly behind me, or our big boy? Either way, I feel like I won't be able to see one of them. We currently have our son in the middle. Any advice/thoughts? Thanks!

Wow! Thanks to everyone for your helpful advice! Seems like there are many possibilities, but we'll probably go with the babe in the middle and our son behind the passenger seat. This has been a great resource, so many things we didn't know, like behind the passenger seat is a safe spot because it is least likely to be hit in an accident (thanks Susan L). And the reminders to check with the fire dept or health dept (oh, yeah! where is my brain?). I hope the positioning works, we have a small SUV (Rav 4). Am also a little worried about our big boy 'playing' with the babe, but we'll see how it goes. We will definitely take the seats to the fire dept to be checked. Thanks too, for all of the well wishes re: babe #2! You guys are the best!

I put the baby behind the passenger seat because it is easier to reach there. Also-invest in a baby car mirror that attaches to the back of the back seat to show you the baby when they are rear facing.

I put my 4 YO behind the passenger side (Least likely to get hit because it is away from traffic) and my infant in the middle. It works out great b/c I can ask him to entertain her if she fusses or stick her binki back in her mouth. Hope this helps!

I personally kept the infant where I could see them while driving. Once they are a couple months old then I didn't worry about SIDS or choking episodes, so I just let them sit in either seat. I put both infant-toddler seats behind the adult seats, and I ask my 13 year old to sit between the car seats.

Hi M., Congrats on the new one coming! I would put your older one behind you, that way he can reach to give/get something from you if needed. You will be able to see the baby over your shoulder and get to him/her in a pinch. A smaller rearview mirror that you can move around to check on them is always good too! Good luck!

I have a 2 year old and a 5 month old. I have the little one behind the driver seat since I can't see her anyway because she is facing the rear. It seems to be working out since my 2 year old is constantly dropping toys and I have to reach back, pick them up and hand them back to her! ha!

If it were me, I think I'd put the baby behind the driver. Most little ones sleep in the car and since he's turned around, you won't be able to see the baby no matter where you put the seat. You'd be able to see and interact with your older son in the car. JMO!

This might sound a little odd, but if you have your car manual still, it normally tells you the best location for car seats for your particular car. I personally would say that as long as you don't think the 17 month old would hurt the baby in any way, then the baby in the middle and the 17 month old to passenger side. I have a little rear view mirror attacted to my rear view mirror so I can see the back seat. I would not get one that attaches to the back window for a few reasons. One: They give you an extra blind spot that you would otherwise not have. Two: Nothing should be in the back window of a car, if you stop too fast or get in an accident things in the back window can come flying out and hit those in the back seat or the driver.
Best of luck!

The youngest child should be in the middle of the back seat. Your 17 month old can go behind you or on the passenger side of the back seat. You may have to adjust your rearview mirror to be able to see your 17 month old in the back seat but I'm sure he will be fine. Congratulations on your new addition in June!

I am 31 and have been married for almost 12 yrs. My husband and I have 3 wonderful boys ages 10,7 and 4.

I would wait and see what works best for you. I have four kids, 3 of whom are in car/booster seats. It drives my husband crazy, but I like to move the seats around from time to time just to see if a different configuration might be more convenient. I personally don't like any of them behind me (the driver) because then when I parallel park, someone HAS to get out on the traffic side of the car, so I usually put a bigger kid there because they can climb over to the 'safe side' to get out of the car.

1 / 3