Where Do You Begin?

I made a list of things that need to be done around the house. It ranges from small cleaning tasks to organizing to just about anything else in between. I'm overwhelmed. Where do I begin on this list? I tend to not do anything when I feel overwhelmed because I don't know where to start and I become frustrated. Yes, I am married and yes, my husband helps me out but he works full-time and I work part-time (different shifts). He knows how frustrated I am and I don't think he even knows where to begin. We have a young child and I know spending quality time together is more important, but I feel like I'm falling behind on everything.

Where do you begin with this kind of scenario? Thanks.

These are terrific suggestions, thank you!! I'm definately going to check out flylady.net. I did a little reorganizing today, not to the extent I wanted to but it's something. Just started on the kitchen, reorganizing the cabinets. I tend to attempt projects at the oddest hours of the day, usually at night when I should be resting. Need to start at a better time so I don't get tired and give up quickly because it's late. I'll try these great suggestions given, thanks again :-)

I usually find a reason to leave the house... ;-)

Sorry, but I have this same problem, and I only have a small condo. I "know" that I need to break the job down into small doable tasks, and just take one at a time, and all that... But to actually START seems to be the problem for me.

When I had a 3 bedroom house to clean, I read "Sink Reflections" the book by FlyLady and it did inspire me to put some systems in place that helped me keep my sanity. I recommend the book, but didn't get much from her website. Mabe I need to read it again!

So pick one very small job, set a timer for 15 minutes, and get it done! Then take a break. Then repeat!

Fly Lady has all the answers. and she says it in a way that inspires me, I once read her book at my SIL's house and was so inspired I started cleaning HER house at 10 PM

Sounds like my college homework, papers and projects. I always did the smaller things first. They took less time, made me feel like I was getting somewhere. Then I felt better about tackling the harder ones.

Does that make sense?

Did I write this post or did you? This is the story of my life! When I need to start a project like this I generally start in one room with one task. Like in the bedroom I may collect all the clothes and start the laundry. Or in the kitchen I may just start doing dishes. Just focus on one room and on one task. Don't focus on the entire house and all the chores. I like to reward myself when I accomplish tasks so you can do that as well!

Does that make sense?

I am so like you. When there is so much to do I just don't know where to go! I'd start with the absolutely most necessary thing. Also, pick projects that you think you can accomplish in the time frame you have. A lot of times I start something and then it spirals out of control and create even more of a mess! So, start small! Good luck!

Please stop fretting about things that 'need to be done'. Ten years from now, when the things that 'need to be done' still are not done, will it really effect your quality of life that much? Focus on the here and now of enjoying your family in whatever stage it happens to be at this moment (or the next moment, or the next).

But, yeah, I've got corners of my house I haven't seen in YEARS.

:(

The list is a great start, but I would take it to the next step now and prioritize things. Are there one or two things on the list that are particularly nagging you to get done? Maybe clean the kitchen first so the dishwasher can go while you work on other things. Maybe just pick one room and start there - a bathroom or the family room. I usually do the things that make the most impact first (like putting toys away or cleaning kitchen) then work out from there. Maybe hubbie can take a bathroom while you do the living room, or whatever. Depending on the age of your kids they can clean their rooms. Good luck. We are doing the same things today :)

Pick one task you know you can complete, and complete it. That gets endorphins running, and suddenly, you'll have a little more motivation to complete another task. If you honestly can't decide where to start, cut them all up and stuff them in a hat, draw one, and do it with no excuses. :) Good luck!

1 / 3