When Your Little Kids Sing Along to a Catchy Song They Don't Know Is Obscene...

...do you say anything? The song that I'm talking about is Whistle by Flo Rida. My little guys are 6 & 8 and they must have heard it on the radio when they weren't with me because I definitely change the channel if it comes on. Anyway...one of them was absently singing it the other day and probably assumes it's a song about whistling. Meanwhile, my two teenagers definitely know what the song is about and I shot them a look that said "DO NOT say a word." On one hand, I think that if I say something to them about not liking the song or that it's inappropriate, suddenly they'll be all ears and will want to know why. On the other hand, I don't want them absently going around whistling that tune and singing the words and have people think I let my kids listen to inappropriate music. To me, this is different from campy songs like "Sexy & I Know It" or "Baby Got Back," which they do know and think are funny and understand that words like "sexy" and singing about "butts" are kind of funny but not OK for their age. Versus Whistle, which is just dirty through and through but doesn't sound that way to little kids.

How do you handle this (other than not letting them listen to pop music - that horse is already out of the barn on that front here)?

LOL Sherri & Katie I'm glad it's not just me. It's SUCH a catchy song. It's in my head now, which it why I wrote about it.

that's so hard!! i have the same gut-wrenching feeling...but then i remember that we were singing along to things like "Cat Scratch Fever" when i was a kid...

99% of the music back then i didn't "get" until i was much older - like in college, because i had heard it all my life, so i never even stopped to think about it once it became obvious. I heard "take it on the run" by REO Speedwagon the other day for the first time in years (decades?) and really listened to the lyrics and was so sad. i never realized that song was about cheating! :( lol! yes, i'm a BIT more oblivious than most lol.

BUT my point is kids put their own spin on things. i used to think a lot of songs talking about sex were just talking about two people "in love" and i never took it any farther than that.

i prefer my son be exposed to good music, even after it all. i love music. i wouldn't want to remove it - and really, once you start censoring, it's really hard to know where to draw the line. every kind of music has inappropriate themes. you'd cut out a LOT - a LOOOOT - if you tried to start really buckling down on it.

and oh yeah - it CRACKS ME UP when my kindergartener does the "wigglewigglewigglewigglewiggle" - complete with butt wiggle. however, i was pretty mortified when we walked through his gradeschool and he started singing "i'm sexy and i know it" - so it was a good opportunity to talk about what's appropriate and what's not. it's a teaching moment ;)

I think I'd find another catchy song to play for her so that she'll forget about the first one.

I never had this happen, so that's all I can think of...

I hear what you are saying and I think that explaining why you do not approve of it would open up a whole other can of worms, so I would just wait it out and let it go and soon enough they will be on to the next catchy song.

FWIW: If you actually google the lyrics there is NOTHING inappropriate in them, it's just us adults that know 'what else' he could be meaning that makes it "inappropriate" and put a crude spin on it....but in reality even IF (and that is a BIG if) your kids could understand ALL the lyrics the song itself could very well be about someone learning how to whistle. Google it, you will see what I mean.

I say nothing at all and let them sing. I know one day they will have the same revelation about songs that I did as an adult. I just wish I could be there when they have that moment of realization of what the song is really about! I remember when I finally realized what Billy Joel's 'spoon up her nose' meant - I wore that song out on my record player when I was 11. I never understood why someone would have a spoon up their nose. LOL!

Really, in the big picture, this just isn't on my radar. No worries here :)

Maybe I am old fashioned, but I hate when I hear little kids singing inappropriate songs.

I closely monitored what my son listened to when little. I did not leave popular radio stations on, we did classical or tapes and CDs. Musicals, Andrew Lloyd Weber's Cats, for instance, make great sing-a-longs, as do My Fair Lady, and others of that genre.

When he progressed to popular music I listened with him so we could discuss the lyrics and why they were inappropriate. Oh, I admit, some of the tunes are catchy, some I even like, but I did not need my child to become de-sensitized to overtly sexual lyrics.

There is a time and place, and a maturity level, for certain things. My son is 16 now and has a broad spectrum of music that he listens to. I find that he is less main stream, musically, than his peers. Oh, and we still discuss lyrics and their meanings.

You can corral the horse and lead your children to a different pasture.

:) Hugs

Haha. My friend turned off the radio when that song came on because she didn't want her 7 and 9 year olds to listen to it. I'm thinking that if they "got" what it was really about, then there are way bigger problems!

I don't have any answers for you - just wanted to say that we're in the same boat over here. My 9 and 11 year old girls like that song, and have no idea what it means. The other day my friend posted on FB "My son wants to know why Whistle is inappropriate and why I told him to stop singing it." I asked her WHO told him it was inappropriate? Because that's part of the problem. I don't want to have to explain it (in fact, I WON'T explain it to my girls - I think they're too young to hear that) I guess my friend just told her 10 year old son that it's inappropriate, but then wouldn't explain why. I think that just opens up a whole can of worms. But I get what you're saying (and what she was saying) - you don't want your kid to be going around singing that! She was worried he'd sing it at school. I'll be interested to see if anyone has any good advice, because I need it too. Geez. Why'd he have to go make such a catchy tune so obscene?!?! I bet parents all over the country are trying to figure this one out. UGH.

When I was growing up, lots of us ran around singing Patti LaBelle's "Lady Marmalade" because we thought it was cool that it had French words in it and didn't realize it was about a prostitute. We figured it out on our own when we were older, and I still love that song. My parents never censored my music or my reading material. We turned out just fine.
My daughter grew up with the Pink/Mia/C. Aguillera version of "Lady Marmalade," asked me what the French words meant, I told her that they meant "Would you like to go to bed with me?" and that the song was about a prostitute. And we kept right on singing along.

1 / 3