When You Borrow Something from Someone

Do you see to it that you get it back to the person, or do you wait for them to try to get it back themselves, or ask for it back several times? Just curious. :)

Toni, its the same item, I havent loned it out several times, I asked if I should ask for it back several times, at this point it just feels awkward.
And no, its not money, if it were a money situation I could understand it better.

I very seldom borrow (or loan) anything. But on the rare occasion that I do, I definitely get it back to them as soon as possible. Same with loaning something - I expect the item back as soon as they're finished with it; if not, then you can bet I'll be asking for it.

I've always told my kids not to borrow things unless it's absolutely necessary. As for loaning something; I've told them never to loan anything that they would be heartbroken if it was lost or damaged. As long as they understand the chance of never getting it back, then it's up to them.

And if it's money, I never loan any more than I can afford to lose!!! And if I borrow any, you can bet I pay it back immediately.

Good question!

I always give it back ASAP and I rarely forget because I hate having someone else's stuff. I only borrow things I have to, or things that are no big deal like a book the person has already read and they won't be looking for it.

I just hate that feeling of being indebted to someone and that's how borrowing something of any signifigance makes me feel.

Hmmm, loaded question maybe?! ;)

Okay, honestly, I do try and get it back to them, but I'm kinda forgetful about it. So, if I don't get it back within 1 week of borrowing it, it could literally take months and they usually have to ask me about it. BUT, if they ask me I really do try and get to it.

If I borrow something I get whatever I need it for done as quickly as possible and then return it. If you wait till the person asks for it back you have kept it too long.

I'm not comfortable borrowing and when I do, i get it back without needing to be asked.

If you are ready to have it back and you feel it's been loaned out long enough for it's purpose you should not feel bad for asking for it back.

It's pretty rude when people don't return stuff. Sometimes in depends on who it is I suppose, on whether I'd get mad or not.

Good question!

Per your SWH - sounds like your borrower lost the item. OR she lent it to someone else and can't get it back from them... ugh!

There's no set answer. It depends on the person, the item and the length of time...

Sorry!

At this point, maybe you could ask the person if there's a reason why it hasn't been returned. See if there's some kind of problem, or if she needs to use it longer.

It's the borrower's responsibility to return the item, and to ask if it can be kept longer, if desired. If it's lost or damaged, it's also the borrower's responsibility to replace or fix it.

If you need it, or want to lend it to someone else, it's fair and reasonable to ask when it will be returned, and insist upon it.

M.:

If I borrow something from anyone, I make sure I get it back to them in a reasonable amount of time. And usually tell them how long I need it for if and when I borrow it.

When I loan something out to someone? I make sure it's not something I "NEED" back - kinda like money, I don't loan out anything I can't afford to lose.

I'm sorry that you have had problems getting something back. I would go to their door and ask for it. I'm bold that way (go figure). If you don't want to do that - and NEED the item, just go out and buy a new one. I know that sucks. I would also NEVER loan anything to that person again.

AFTER READING YOUR SO WHAT HAPPENED:

It could be a deal breaker, but if the item means something to you, the next time you go to her house, point blank say, I'm having company and want to use my ________, that I loaned you.

Personally why do you continue a relationship with someone who does things to make you feel "awkward"?

Several times? Just curious too...is this the same person and if so, why you keep lending?

In my world there are people I know and love that are not very responsible...SO if I lend them an item or money, I do this without expectation of getting anything back. Therefore, I don't lend any item that is dear to me or any money that I can't afford. Then you just avoid disappointment and in the case that they actually DO return the item or pay you back, there's an opportunity to let them know that you appreciate them.

1 / 3