When Will I Get My Period After a C-section While "Partial" Breast Feeding?

I had a c-section giving birth to my baby boy, and bled for about 4 weeks shortly after that, which I know is normal. Not too long ago, I had a minor infection from the c-section which i was given anti-biotics for ..and around that time frame I had bleedings again on march 12th which I'm not sure if it was my period or the dirty blood that was left in my stomache..

i understand that if you're breast feeding, it may delay your period for up to a year or until you stop breast feeding? But does partial breast feeding count?.

I was wondering when I will get my period again because I'd like to start on my BC pills asap (MICRONOR), and it says i'm suppose to take it on the first day of my period - but how am i suppose to take it if i do not get my period.

Thanks in advance :)

E.

have you thought about getting the mirana IUC? it does not interfer with BF, I had my baby over 9 montns ago with cs and still have not had a period and the mirana is great no need to worry about taking a pill and it is good for 5 years.

You need to call your OB to double check what I'm going to say. You should never take any medication (especially while breastfeeding) with out consulting your doc first.

That said, you can probably start the pill any time. I took the mini pill after my 2nd was born before I got my period. I started it at my 6 week check up. They told me to start it on a Sunday. If you're taking the mini pill (and I think you are) then you have to make sure to take it at the EXACT SAME time EVERY day or it's not effective. Also, the birth control pill can affect your milk supply. It can dry you up. If you are able, you might want to try to exclusively breast feed for awhile before and after you start the pill.

I would say you should talk to your OB GYN about when to start. I got my period about 2 months after I gave birth and I was breastfeeding so it is possible it was your period. Until you are sure of your cycle and start the pill I would recommend using a condom just to be safe.

It is common to not have a period until your child is completely weaned, even several months after that.

You can suppress ovulation by breastfeeding every 4 hours. The rule is to empty one breast every 4 hours. If you use a bottle, leave baby too long, or if baby is sleeping longer your body will change and you can start ovulating. If you pump, that will make your body produce more milk than baby is eating and the breast may not get empty after a feeding. Even giving a bottle can mess up the balance.
If you have been "partial" breast feeding for a few weeks then yes, that was probably your period starting.

I would ask your obgyn about when to start taking the pills since you're not menstruating regularly yet. I had a vaginal birth and bled for about 5 weeks, I went back on the pill at my 6 week check up. My doctor told me I could start taking them right away, I think because she didn't expect me to get my period since I'm also breastfeeding. I have had some bleeding which may or may not have been my period, I really don't know. Either way, even though breastfeeding is a natural contraceptive, its better to have another form of birth control in the picture if you don't want to get pregnant. Your doctor will probably tell you to just start them right away. And don't worry, your period will by all screwed up for a while!

Hi E.,
I also had a very similar situation with the c-section, antibiotics, etc. . We started formula at night so that I could get some well needed rest when our son was about two weeks old (much sooner than I had hoped to). Unfortunately, I learned to late that if you go longer than 4-6 hours without breast feeding (ie your baby is sleeping through the night) you may get your period back quicker than those who exclusively breast feed. I got mine back at 9 weeks. However, I will say it has been very erratic. The first one only lasted for a day or so and the second lasted for a week.

I would say sooner than later you will get your period. There is no real formula, some women that are fully breastfeeding get the periods after just a few months, some don't get it the whole time. Partial breastfeeding will probably make it come sooner than full breastfeeding. I went 10 months without it, breastfeeding only (with solids at 6 month), and then it came. I also remember that I had some bleeding at maybe 6 weeks, and I thought it was my period, but it wasn't.

1 / 3