When to Switch from Toddler Toothpaste

My 4 1/2 year old loves her toddler toothpaste. However, it doesn't seem to be doing the job anymore. We have tried to get her to spit when she brushes but she just swallows it. We've tried to switch her to regular paste but she hates it, and doesn't want to spit. She just wants to swallow it then gets mad cause it doesn't taste like her toddler toothpaste.

What have other's done in this situation. Just not sure how to handle her dragon breath lol.

If the issue is her breath, try kid's mouth wash. My son love it and uses it right after brushing. He also liked swallowing his toothpaste so with the rinse, we told him he it wasn't like toothpaste and had to spit it out.

We tell our kids it will hurt their tummy to swallow toothpaste and we have them practice spitting. My almost-3-year-old uses big kid blue sparkle toothpaste. Really, all kids are going to eat some toothpaste at some point. I did when I was well old enough to know better. You just have to remind them that it's not good for them.

MY kid hated it, but I really don't know why...I bought Tom's of Maine toothpaste (it's an organic type thing) at Target, and it's strawberry shortcake flavored! It actually tasted like strawberry shortcake, too! I ended up using it, but I've recommended it to friends whose children don't like that sharp tang of minty toothpase, and it's worked for their kids! Oh--my oldest was definitely on grown-up toothpaste by 4 1/2.

I switched my girls to Spry toothpaste made with Xylitol. It is safe to swallow and is fluoride free so no concerns there. My 5 year old since using that toothpaste has learned to spit it out b/c she doesn't care for the minty taste. I feel like it does a good job cleaning their teeth.

Marie - the bad breath could be coming from something other than the toothpaste, sinus issues, throat issues, etc.

I know many people like to change to adult toothpaste because of the flouride. Personally, I purchase a flouride-free toothpaste for my family. I don't want to add any additional toxins to our bodies.

We use Toms All Natural toothpaste, and we don't do any rinses or anything. My boys are 4 and 7.5, and they've been using Toms since birth.

I think the toddler toothpaste is fine. Is your water fluoridated? Does she get fluoride treatments?

http://K..myshaklee.com

Hi, my name is L. and I have a 3 1/2 yr old daughter. Her dentist told us that toothpaste is not needed and that good brushing and flossing will help with bad breath. We have stopped using floride tooth paste and if you look it up you will find it is poisionous in large amounts "something not even our dentist would tell us??" Good luck!!

1 / 3