When to Start School? - Hialeah,FL

At what age school a child start elementary?

Thanks

In Texas you have to be 5 before the first day of classes. We start at the end of august and my march baby whom is 5 will start kinder this yr. My son is now a sophomore but we is a September baby and was a month from being 6. Its a parents devision. If they aren't ready then they aren't! They have a lot if years of education ahead of them anyhow"

Hwere is what I found about Florida Public Schools.
http://www.fldoe.org/faq/default.asp?Dept=107&ID=513#...

12. What are the requirements for Florida public school kindergarten admission?
Florida law (Section 1003.21(1)(a)2, Florida Statutes) specifies that children who have attained the age of five years on or before September 1 of the school year are eligible for admission to public kindergarten during that school year based on rules prescribed by the school board. Students are eligible for kindergarten attendance provided they meet the age requirement.

13. If a child turns five years old after September 1, can a waiver be obtained from the Florida Department of Education to allow him to attend kindergarten?
No. Florida Statutes or State Board of Education Rules do not include any provision to waive the age requirement for kindergarten enrollment.

Check with the elementary school - 5 is the usual age, but it is based also on when your child's birthday is.

Gamma G, no disrespect but at least in Kansas, kids CAN live in the dorms at 17. Our son did, albeit he was 17 for just a couple of weeks at college.

Our son's birthday is August 29th. After a lot of soul searching and much discussion, we did let him start kindergarten, technically when he was 4.
I know there are pros and cons, that have been discussed in previous posts. For us, our son and our family, he did just fine. The ONLY time it was an issue was when all the buddies were driving earlier. But he started kindergarten when he was 4. Was one of the youngest in his class. And went to college, lived in a dorm when he was 17.

It depends on your school district. Some require that a child turn five before they start kindergarten; some require they be only be 4.75 before they start. And, of course, a lot depends on your own child - if they are not ready to start school at the usual age, your school district may allow you to hold off for a year.

My oldest started K at age 5. My youngest started at age 4. It depends on your school district and the childs birthday.

In our state, . can hold them back a year, but you can't start early...they have to be 5 by October 1st to start kindergarten.

Usually very small and immature kids are held back if they're on the border....the parents just feel they need time to catch up with the other kids.

I truly believe a child should be a full 5 years old to start Kindergarten. This makes the child 17 when they start their senior year and they have their 18th birthday then go off to college as a legal adult. If they start school at 4 they are not legally an adult and can't start college, well, they can but they can't live in the dorms underage.

1 / 3