When to start mixing infant cereal in with formula?

I'm just wondering if anyone knows when you can start mixing infant cereal in with formula. My daughter is eating 4 oz every 2 hrs and we are wanting to try cereal to see if it helps to keep her full a little longer during the day. She sleeps at night 4-6 hrs before she wakes up wanting a bottle

Summary

4-6 month old baby is the only safe time to introduce anything other than breast milk/formula. their systems aren't made to digest anything else until this time. mixing cereal in their bottle can lead to an increase in allergies, digestive problems, obesity and diabetes. I know lots of people do it, but it really isn't healthy for them. check with your pediatrician to be sure.

My daughter was diagnosed with Gastroeasophageal reflux and she was eating so often cuz she was spitting up so much she is now on Zantac and Reglan and has to have ceral mixed in her bottles

My pediatrician and most books I've read recommend around 4 mos. I just started my daughter on it a few weeks ago and she is 4 mos old. I've read that there digestive systems can't really handle cereal up until around that age.

Wait until at least 4 months but longer is better. A lot of people put cereal into a babies bottle to help fill the baby so they will sleep better. This is not neccesary. If your baby is hungry, then give her more formula/breastmilk not cereal. She might just be going through her first growth spurt and is ready for an increase in feedings.

When you are ready to give her cereal, wait until she can sit up and give it to her with a spoon not in her bottle.

Also congratulations on your new baby and good luck.

I know that a lot of people do it earlier, but you should really wait until at least 4m (and often older) when the baby's digestive system is more developed and she can hold her head up more steady.

I talked to my baby's pediatrician before Changing his diet. Don't be afraid to give him/her a call. We never gave cereal through the bottle. We started spoon feeding cereal at 4months old. This is what works for my little one.

Solid food is 4-6 months...they need to display a readiness for it. My first was ready closer to 6 months...my middle closer to 4. Do they watch you eat with interest? Do they seem to need more food. They need a developed oral system....don't worry...they get to solid food sooner or later.

Cereal this young can be harmful to their developing digestive system. It's best to wait until she is at least 4 months old. Some pediatricians will recommend it earlier if the baby has reflux so I'd check with your pediatrician. Just remember that their digestive systems are still developing and it's best to keep them on formula or breastmilk exclusively.

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that all babies receive only breastmilk or formula until around the middle of the first year. Infant cereals are inferior nutrition, and only serve as fillers. Feeding a baby cereal too young can set them up for allergies as well. They also don't have the enzymes to digest/use other foods until about 6 months old. A baby is ready to add solids when they can sit assisted, seem interested in what you are eating/try to grab food, etc., and when they lose the tongue thrust mechanism. Putting cereal into a bottle can be a choking hazard as well. It is exciting to watch a little one grow up and even more exciting to see them trying new things, etc., but studies and the AAP say it's best to wait. Hope that helps!

You should never add cereal to formula. There are a lot of people out there who will say to, but it's actually not good. Any pediatrician who reads recent research will tell you the same. The only time it is recommended is for severe reflux and your pediatrician should go over this carefully with you. Adding cereal to formula makes it harder to drink and harder for the baby to get enough to eat. It also can possibly contribute to food allergies since their little stomachs aren't ready to digest food yet. Most doctors recommend waiting until the baby is 4-6 months old to start any food, and then only by spoon. Some people say it will make them sleep better, but research shows it actually makes little babies gassy and uncomfortable, so they sleep worse! Formula is all a baby needs, unless is has a medical problem.

1 / 3