When to Get a Bike?

My daughter is 2, but she is about 31 1/2" tall. We know she is too short for a 12" bike, but I'm wondering how tall is tall enough for these bikes? She always wants one when we are in the store, but of course we can't get it because she is too short. Is there an approximate height that we need to wait for? I don't to keep trying out the bikes in the store & disappointing her every time if she is going to be too short for a while! I read a review from a parent that felt the kid should be at least 37" to ride the bike. By that height, my daughter will be 5 before she will ride a bike!!!

Perhaps other moms can tell me how tall their child was when they were able to ride a 12 inch bike. And are there certain brands/bikes that seem to accommodate shorter children better than others? The review I read was for a Dora the Explorer 12 inch bike.

Thanks for the advice everyone. She does have a Go & Grow Rider that she likes (push the floor with their feet). She also has a tricycle, but isn't as interested in it right now. I just wanted an idea of how tall/old she would need to be before we consider getting a bike. We'll wait and see how she's doing in height & with the tricycle when she's 3. Her dad will be home then anyways, so he can help her out with the bike too (If she's ready).

PS. I've looked at the Kinderbikes. Those sound like a really good idea! Perhaps we will get her one when she's ready. Thanks for sharing that!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9203278

My daughter has this bike. She will be 3 in August and rides this bike with no problem. The seat is adjustable so it grows with her. We got this for her on her 2nd birthday and she just now is really able to ride it. She loves it.

I also have a 2 year-old. I'm a pediatric physical therapist, so when it comes to bikes I have done a lot of research. What we decided on was a kinderbike (www.mykinderbike.com). We LOVE it. You may have seen the wooden ones made my skuut in some catalogs and stores, but the kinderbike is metal, lighter, and more easily adjustable. It's a 2 wheel bike without pedals or training wheels. It's short so that kids can reach the ground with their feet. It's the European method of training to ride bikes. They don't believe in training wheels.
The kids learn to pedal on a tricycle and learn their balance on the kinderbike, which costs about $60. They push with their feet then pick up their feet and coast. Then, around 3-4 they go directly to a real bike without training wheels!!! My son loves his. He thinks he's a "big boy" and hopefully we won't have to go through the pain and fear of losing the training wheels!!!!!! Lots of companies are starting to make these bikes, but the kinderbike, made in Colorado was the best price and value to me.

My two year old daughter is also just shy of 32". We opted to get her a radio flyer tricycle instead of a bike. She likes it because she's still in control and peddling and I like it because even if she's a little short for it she can't tip it over easily.

A bike store told me this rule: you need to be able to touch the ground with your feet when you are on the seat. This goes for every age and size.

Sometimes I have to respond to some of these with my mouth agape!
What's the rush? She's 2!! Ever heard of a tricycle or big wheel or one of those Fred Flintstone cars? You need to wait for about a 4-5 year old height is what you need to wait on. She may have to wait til she's 5 to ride a bike??? Yea because that's around the time she'll be coordinated enough to do it. Sometimes Mom it isn't about what the child wants, is she going to dictate her raising or are you?

I cannot remember if my kids' bikes are 10 or 12 inch. However, my daughter got her Dora one on her 3rd bday. Our son who is 2 just got his the other day. He is around 30" tall. :) He cannot always peddle it by himself but he scoots it enough to get where he is going. We bought it because his tricycle got run over by the neighbor. :( And, he wanted a bike like Sister. I guess what I am trying to say is that if its not a safety issue with you - buy her the bike. She will grow into it in no time and you'll both be happier. Good luck.

My boy was about 24" tall when I bought him a 12" bike with training wheels and he did just fine. He was even riding with no training wheels within about 6 months and has never had a problem. Sure there and the few scrabs and bruises but that is with every kid. Just get the smallest one with training wheels and let her have fun.

Both of my girls - also pretty petite - started on tricycles before going on to 12" bikes. They were still pretty small even when I got them, but they had training wheels and the girls felt pretty comfortable even when their feet didnt quite stretch. :}

1 / 3