When to Buy a Bra for My Daughter

How do you know when to buy a bra for your daughter? She is 10 going into 5th grade, has breast buds, but not much else. She is starting to feel a little self-conscious. None of her friends are wearing bras yet.....

I believe they have a T-Shirt/Bra for yound girls now. You may want to look into them. I know I have seen them in Walmart and Target.

Good Luck! :)

If she is self concious about her body then now is the time to buy her a bra. If you think she is too young for a real or training bra then buy her a bunch of tight fitting tank tops to wear under her clothes.

why dont you get her one of those stretch kind of bras.
If she is feeling self conscious it might help her.

I developed breasts and got my first bra during the summer between 6th and 7th grade and I think that was perfect. In 6th grade none of the elementary school kids had bras. In 7th grade, junior high school, everyone was expected to have one on when they changed for gym class. Assuming middle school hasn't changed the culture I think that is a good time. If a majority of other girls are wearing them I would go ahead and get one, even if your daughter doesn't need one. An alternative to a bra is a nice, grown-up looking tank top, maybe with spaghetti straps?. :)

My daughter is the same age, and has been wearing a bra for almost a year by her request. We were in Target buying some clothes and she saw them. She asked me to buy her one, and I did because I felt if she was asking for it then she would be comfortable with the idea. I let her pick out the ones she liked, many had matching panties. They had a huge selection for this age. I explained to try to not let many people know (especially the boys) because they will tease you. I told her that just like you don't want your underwear showing, you don't want your bra to show. It was a really easy transition. Target and Limited Too have a great selection of training trendy bras. It was not the embarasing nightmare that I remember when I was her age.

Good Luck! :)

Hi, K. -- My 1st daughter is the same age. Last year she wanted me to take her to the doctor for the lump in her breast. Sure enough, she was starting to develop. We did not do much at first, but after winter as she was wearing lighter clothes, we thought she should wear a "bra". I found a sports bra and also a couple of "stretchy" bras at the dollar store to start her out. I also encourage layering and have sought out tanks with "built in" coverage. Right now the layering seems to work just fine. Some of her friends ARE wearing bras so that is not an issure for her. Good luck -- I hate this part of being a mom :) they grow up too fast!!!

I went through a faze where my 3rd grader wanted one. She did not need one but I bought some of those half tank top things at Wal-mart and after she wore them a few times, she decided she did not want to wear a bra anymore.

I am glad now that I did not fight her on it. Once she saw how uncomfortable it can be, she decided to wait.

Been there, done that - just this year! My daughter will be 11 in february & a lot of her friends are starting w/the whole bra thing. We made it kind of a big thing by going to Victoria Secrets to have her measured and then went to Sears to buy some bras. Although Samantha was kind of embarassed, I think she is less self concious now. The only bad thing about the whole thing is that her best friend is a boy and she couldn't share it w/him! Good luck!

If she feels a little self-conscious then now is the time to start. Make it a special shopping trip just for the two of you. I went through this about 3 years ago and made it a special trip with my daughter. If you start now and remind her that from now on she will always have to wear a bra it works out for the better.

1 / 3