When Should You Really Start Pushing Potty Training???

My son turned two in April and has no interest in using his big boy potty. He follows my husband and I into the bathroom and knows that the potty is where you're supposed to go. I have had conversations with him about when you eat or drink it goes thru your tummy and out of your body into the potty. Ive caught him starting to "go" and rushed him to his potty three time, all three times he went in the potty, got to watch it go to the big potty and he even told it "bye bye" as we flushed. He was rewarded and got lots of cheers for it. The last time he started crying and told me, in his own way, to put "it" back in his diaper! Anytime he sits on the potty or is even asked if he needs to use the potty he gets upset. We have been working on this for 3 months and still nothing has changed. Should I just let him take his time or are there some sort of tricks I dont know about????

Thank you everyone for your advice! It was very helpful and makes me feel more comfortable that Im not the only one to have this issue. I think I will wait and let him tell me when he is ready. He is a very smart kid, he was reading by 20 months, however he has always done things when he wants to do them. For example, he was about 3 months behind the "norm" for crawling and walking but thefirst time he attempted to crawl he was all over the house with in hours and his first time to even stand up on his own he took 4 steps without holding on to anything turned around took another step and set down. Sometimes I feel like he has known how to do these things all along he just likes to wait it out. haha! We also have a 6 month old daughter who, obviously, is still in diapers so maybe that could be one of the reasons he isn't ready. It makes me feel more comfortable to know that I can wait another 6 months to a year before starting the potty training. We will of course still keep the potty out and let him see that we use the "big" potty. Im sure after being moved to his own room and a big boy bed and a new little sister he will be happier with no more changes for a little bit. Again, Thank you to everyone for the advice, it was helpful and comforting.

My son is 32 months old now. I have posted about potty training him before on here. I tried a few things even bribery. Nothing worked. I left it alone. Left the potty out and let him watch a few potty videos. All of a sudden he has decided he wants to use the potty. This has happened in the last 2 weeks. First he would go a few times a day in the potty. Now he is going for just about every pee...very little poop though. We are using pull ups and he likes them-he will pull them up and down (well take them off to use the potty).

After experiencing this and taking advice from others, I believe they will really start to potty train when they are ready. At least that is what my son did.

My twins were potty trained in 2 days. They were a little over 3yrs old. Much easier to wait till they are ready, then they are trained in a matter of days or weeks instead of months.

My grandmother, who had 7 children in the 1950's, contends that potty training happens when the mommy is ready. She has always said that "wait until the child is ready" was a weird 1970's thing. Apparently prior to the 1970's (i.e. when moms still had to launder diapers) children were potty trained around 18 months, and if kids made it to 2 without being potty trained, everyone thought you were a terrible mother. No joke, this is what she told me! I asked my other grandmother, who confirmed proudly that each of her children was potty trained prior to 18 months.

That being said, if you want potty training to happen, make it happen. Teach your child what he needs to know, and fully expect that he's going to do it. Get rid of all the diapers, pull-ups, etc, and have him run around naked from the waist down. Take him to the potty every 20 minutes whether he wants to or not. If he pees on the floor, calmly clean it up, (don't tell him it's okay, because it's not) and then tell him he will make it to the potty next time (and make sure he does). Will he fight you? Sure, he's 2. They fight you about everything, why would they just roll over on this?! He's going to want to test you to see if you REALLY mean it. Stick to it and he'll get with the program. With my kids it took anywhere from 4 hours to 3 days to potty train them. My cousin only has boys, potty trained all of them at 24 months, and they were all trained in under a week (and one of them was and still is a total hellion, so it's not like she had it easy). Potty training is not easy, but it's so worth it and your son will feel like he has really accomplished something once he figures it out!

Both of my boys were three. One turned three in April and was done in November, the other turned three in March and was done in April...both kids were different. The older one dropped diapers 100% overnight...ther other one still wears them to bed and REFUSES to poop in the potty. Don't push it...he won't go to kindergarten in diapers :).

I know it may be hard to hear all these mommies advice and think wow that was harsh. Well I have two girls and they were both potty trained by 2. My first I started at 18 months just getting her use to a little toilet once she got the hang of that we moved to the big toilet giving her stickers and etc. Then my younger one Crissy we had Madisyn teach her. Madi was 4 and crissy was 2 and madi constantly showed her when she went. Then one day crissy picked it up. Now I know boys are different then girls but my mom had two boys and these are the tricks she used. Boys are all about fun and making a mess and hearing sounds so my mom would set a coffee tin can in the bathroom and let my brothers pee in it. The sound of the pee hitting the tin made them want to go even more. Next for my other brother she put cheerios in the toilet and asked him to see how many cheerios he could hit. Then once they were familiar with the toilet she introduced the number two to them. Hope this helps and you know your children not us mom so do what is in your heart. Every child is different and your child may not be like our. So here is some suggestions. Good luck!

I've read your "what's happening", so I see you have a plan. A child cannot be *made* to potty. They learn how to do it all on their own, we don't train them. They learn their own body's signals. We have to wait patiently by until they get it. We can encourage the potty all we want, which is what it sounds like you plan on doing. But, they will do it in their own time, not ours. My son was like that. I listened to everyone telling me that at about 2 1/2 he should be potty trained. I tried leaving him naked all the time, taking him to the bathroom every 20-30 minutes, giving juice or water to encourage the process. I could tell that he knew what he was doing, he was holding it. I was frustrated. But, I waited. I did know enough not to punish or shame him & let him take his own time. At about 3 1/2, with his sister on the way, I told him that I wasn't buying any more diapers. All that weekend, I reminded him EVERY time I changed his diaper. We ran out on a Mon. and he was accident free by Wed. Something clicked for him. It only took a couple more weeks for him to be completely out of diapers-at night. Encourage every chance you get, but let him go at his own pace. He'll get there.

WAIT IT OUT!!! First of all, he is a boy. He is bound to start later than most girls. Second of all, any boy that I have known that started potty training much before the age of 3 took forever and a day to do it. The boys that didn't start until around 3 were fully potty trained in a few short weeks. If he genuinely shows an interest, you can start (I had a friend who had hers completely trained by the time he was 2), but most boys really don't "get it" until closer to 3 (this is not only what I have observed, but what my ped told me too). Just wait it out a little while longer, and I promise that he will train a whole lot faster! :)

My boys were both four before they were entirely 'trained'. My daughter took off her own diaper, toddled over to the toilet, climbed up and peed, and that was the immediate end of diapers for her, she was 18 months! They will go when they're ready regardless of all the tricks you use...don't worry too much...

1 / 3