When Should My Daughter Start Wearing Deodorant???

I realize that this seems like a silly question, but what is the appropriate age for that. She does not smell to me, unless of course she has been outside playing, but all kids smell bad after that right! But she is going into 3rd grade, and while I dont want to encourage growing up to fast, I also dont want it to be something I should be doing. Any thoughts..arrgghh, I just know this is really the time if life where kids start to get made fun of for anything and everything, and again, while I do not think it is a problem, I guess I just dont want to be ignorant either. Thanks ~A.~

Thank you all so much for your wisdom and encouragement! I think for now I will just watch and wait...or should I say smell and wait?:-) And, for sure if I do decide at some point that she needs it, I will heed Mary's advice and go with the natural types! We are trying to cut back on chemicals, not add to them! Thanks again, I sense that we are only at the tip of the iceburg with this growing up thing...I am sure there will be more questions to come!!

My sd started when she was in K - because she had REALLY bad body odor - her mom took her to the Dr because she thought something was wrong with her - he just told her some kids develop faster than others and that she just needed to use deoderant - my ss on the other hand didn't even start until he was in 8th grade! So I guess the bottom line is, when they need it...

I would not rush her into wearing it. If she doesn't need it she shouldn't wear it. It will change the chemicals in her body. Once she starts using it she'll have to continue to use it.

Both of my daughters started getting serious body odor (both smelled like grown men) when they were like 5. My oldest (now 16), I did not use deodrant with until pre-teen years. Which may have been a mistake should've started earlier.

My youngest who is just now 5 started having b.o. last year. I decided to start her on deodrant. Degree has a deodrant for girls. And it has totally helped.

As far as it being a sign for early development. I totally agree because my oldest started her cycle at 9 (almost 10). And I worry about my youngest started early.

Yes I freaked out when she started that early. LOL!

I have a sister who is 3 years older than my daughter (17 years between my sister and I - don't ask I don't know what my mom was thinking). My sister started one summer and we celebrated and got so excited. When my daughter started I was like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! LOL! It was horrible.

But God has brought us through and everything is fine.

Take care and God bless!

I guess my family lives in a sheltered world. But, my boys didn't start using deodorant until they really needed it and that was when they hit puberty. Sweating is normal, and just because kids sweat doesn't mean they need deodorant or worse yet anti-perspirant. It's the hormonal changes at puberty that makes it socially unacceptable and unpleasant for everyone. My younger son is just going into the 7th grade and he says not all the boys use deodorant yet. I know I also didn't use it until like 8th grade.

IMHO, this is a situation where you are the parent and can make an edict. That isn't to say your child will be happy, but I can guarantee this will be a minor issue as compared to other areas where you'll have to put your foot down in the coming years.

However, if there is social pressure and you think it's important enough for your child to give in to that peer pressure in this case, I recommend some of the natural alternatives you can find at Sprouts, whole foods and health food stores that are lavender scented etc. and don't have any of the toxic chemicals of the conventional brands. I made my older son use those for several years but finally let him buy an unscented one in a name brand.

You may also want to consider the potential for cancer due to the ingredients in these antiprespirants, per this article (by an oncologist): http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-479772/Why-wome...

While this hasn't been fully scientifically proven - even Snopes.com lists it as unknown. It likely would be hard to find women that don't use anti-prespirant as the controls! I personally would err on the side of caution, particularly with girls. Here's a good, short balanced discussion on this topic:
http://bellasugar.com/1128280

My daughter started consistently wearing it last year as she was beginning fourth grade.

5th grade. They usually do "the talk" at school about the body changing and sometimes they even hand out deodorant samples.

I don't remember how old I was, probably late elementary or early middle school, but I remember laying down watching TV one night and I had my arms behind my head to prop it up and I smelled something "bad" which turned out to be my underarms. I asked my mom for deodorant the next day. If your daughter's underarms are stinky at the end of the day, she needs it. Otherwise, it probably isn't necessary yet.

My daughter went to church camp this summer and they required everyone, regardless of age, to bring deodorant, so since she had some anyway from going to camp, I told her she could start using it for school if she wanted. I can't smell any body odor on her, but when I told her that she said "Yeah, I think my under arms are starting to smell stinky so that would be good." She just started 4th grade.

:-)

My oldest daughter started wearing deoderant when she was about 8. My second daughter is now 8 and wearing deoderant but my 6 year old thinks it's cool so she will put it on when her sisters do. I don't think it is that big a deal so I just let her. It will only reinforce good hygene for the future.

My son is in 3rd and he just started wearing it. But boys may be different. He smells pretty bad sometimes! :) Just make sure you buy unscented. All that extra stuff is absorbed through the skin and is not good.

1 / 3