When Should My Daughter Be Able to Eat with Silverware?

My daughter just turned one this month and she has always been picky about her food and how she eats it. When I first started giving her finger foods she just looked at it funny and started crying. She got used to eating it but now she seems like she wants to use silverware to eat but then she just starts playing with it and will not eat. My son is nine and I just don't remember when he started eating with utensils. What are your experiences with this and what do you all suggest?

M.,
Kids are all different about when they start having interest in food, silverware, ect. I would let her play with them and feed her with another spoon and give her finger foods. If she's showing interest, let her explore. I don't think there is any certain age where kids should be able to use silverware well. I think they are all on their own timeline and need to be able to learn at their own pace. Good luck, M.

Just depends-- my daughter was using silverware at one but then stopped for a little while-- at target they sell those pre silverware-- called dippers I think-- they are great to dip into applesauce, yogurt, etc.. and they cant help but get it in their mouth-- good luck!

The doctor told me to start practicing at 1 year. What I did is I gave her a spoon and I would eat right in front of her and show her how I use a spoon or a fork. She will use silverware when she wants too but she rarely uses it and she is 18 months. It takes time and patience. Just practice!

Hi M.-
I have had the same problem with my daughter. She loves silverware, but just ends up playing with her food. What I do is let her have a baby spoon at the same time as I am feeding her. Sh really likes that a lot because she feels like she is feeding herself. I like it because I know she's actually getting some of it into her mouth.

Keep in mind that babies/toddlers only need a small amount of food to feel full. Their portion size is supposed to be the size of THEIR fist, which is tiny! As long as your daughter is eating something, she should be just fine. They'll eat when they're hungry :-).

My son is 15 months and he is now using silverware, he has been for a few weeks now.. he has been playing with his spoons etc since aound 9 months I guess.. Now he can eat a cut up scrambled egg all by himself with a fork.. Let her play, play is childrens work.. this is how they learn..

1 / 3