When Should My Baby Sleep in His Crib??

Hi, moms! I have a 4 month old son who up until now has been sleeping great in his swing. He takes 1-2 hour naps in them 3 times a day and also will sleep through the night in the swing as well. He never would sleep in his bassinet.well he is getting bigger and I am worried that he should start to sleep in the crib now. Part of me says" your crazy, it doesnt matter where he sleeps, as long as he is SLEEPING" ; the other part is worried that he will never want to sleep in his crib if we dont start now....
I have been trying to start with just naps, and he will cry for like 20 mins until I come in there and rub his belly till he falls asleep(usually that takes 10 mins).
What age do you think is appropriate for a baby to be moved to his crib?? Any tips to make this transition easier.....on BOTH of us?
He is still breast fed, but takes a pacifier, which helps alot!

I don't mean to scare you, but the swing is an unsafe place for a kid to sleep. If he is sleeping through the night in his swing, I assume you are sleeping too and that is just too much unsupervised swing time. It will probably be a rough transition, but babies aren't very good at the memory thing at that age, and it won't take long for him to get over it (it might be awful and you may not sleep for a few days, but in the end it won't last long). In general, the earlier you break habits like that the easier they are to break. Good luck!

I also did the same with my daughter, but she slept in her crib at night. You're doing the right thing by comforting him. When he gets used to it, you won't have to comfort him anymore. My daughter started sleeping in her crib at 5-6 months.

Now. Now. Now...... you are in a window and it is rapidly closing. In a couple of months he will be too big for the swing to swing correctly and you will be up that creek looking back at a paddle! As far as making the transition easier; put the swing in his room first. Take the first nap in there in the swing in his DARK room. If he sleeps well, go on to the next step. Second nap, swing in dark room until he is asleep for about 15-20 minutes and then move him to the crib. He will probably wake up during the transition, which is OKAY. He'll be so drowsy he'll probably fall back asleep. Do this for a couple of days until he's fine with it, then move to step 3. Swing for a couple of minutes until he is drowsy but still awake. Move him while drowsy to the crib. Do that for a week or so, then try looking for the drowsy cues before you would have put him in the swing. Then try putting him straight into the bed and turning the swing on (so the familiar noise,etc can soothe him).

Your son is capable of sleeping through the night. You've said he does it. Now all he needs is some help to learn to self soothe, and you're set. You can do it but it might take some hard nights. In two weeks you can be free. If you don't do it now, you'll be stuck because at a certain point, they get too heavy for the swing to be satisfying. Then you end up trying to put the crib up on those vibrating step things - which can be a last resort if the above doesn't go well....

you're going to have to wean him off of sleeping in the swing eventually, so when is up to you. the sooner you do it, the easier it will be. my son slept in his own crib from night #2 at home. first night he would not sleep so i slept in the rocker with him. every night since, unless he is sick, he has been in his own bed. for the record however, i did not breastfeed, so your situation is different. if he's falling asleep with your rubbing his tummy, that's a good start. but i would rub it for a few minutes then leave. he needs to learn how to fall asleep on his own. it's an independance/security thing. good luck!

I have kept all 3 of my babies in my bed or in a cradle next to my bed until 5-6 months old. Then moved them to their cribs for nighttime. They all seemed to sleep better once I moved them to their crib. Naptime was a different story. I will take a nap in any form I can get it. I don't care where they sleep at nap as long as they sleep.

my son moved from bassinet or my bed to his own crib at 3 months. it takes some adjusting to a new area but i think after a few days your little one would get used to it. i never used a swing, but moving my son at 3 months worked out well. If your son is getting to big for the swing then you should definitely get him moved so he will be safe.

I would not recommend him sleeping in the swing at night. they grow and learn so fast that he may get out of there. i had my daughter sleeping in her packnplay/bassient next to us til she could sit up on her own. then i put her in the crib in the other room with a tv monitor. there is no certain time you put them in the crib. but i would start doing it now. so that way your little one doesnt get use to either sleeping with you or in the swing. i think once your little one can sit up or roll over on his own you should be fine. every baby is different and there mothers know whats best. so do what you think is right.. your mother insinct will tell you. ya it was hard leaving my daughter in the crib but you need to let them cry. i know its hard. but soon he wont anymore or just for a little. if he likes a certain blanket or stuffed animal put that in the crib or music with lights on the ceiling but try not to put alot of things in the crib specialy if he cant roll over etc. i didnt put anything in her crip til she could sit up all by herself. thats usually a good time. im still breast feeding my daughter(16months) she never liked the pacifier so a pacifier in the crib will help him calm down.

Have you tryed swaddling???i have a 3 month old who up until a month ago would only sleep in swing at all times she hated her cradle but then i read a book called happiest baby on the block and it is all about swaddling which i was against because i thought she didnt like it well i went out and bought what is called a swaddle me which takes the work out of having to do it with a receiving blanket and is warmer too and then bought a sleep positioner with a heartbeat sound and i take a teddy bear that has a white noise sound and lay her in cradle now and she prefers cradle to swing now.I didnt think that could be possible but since she has been swaddled she sleeps better and longer.I think anytime at 3months and after a baby is fine in crib but its your preference try a cradle or bassinet first to get her or him used to a stationary thing.I hope this will help you

As a mom to three boys I can tell you that every child is different. However, he should be sleeping in his crib by now. It is probably going to take a couple of weeks but he will eventually get use to sleeping in his crib. You will have to go through the crying and fussing thing with him. At some point he will be to big for swings and bassinets. It is going to take you being strong and I know as a mother that it can tear at the heart strings that you don't want to hear your baby crying. It won't hurt him. He will learn from an early age, believe me that if you start giving in to him now and doing everything that makes him happy that you will eventually be unhappy. Just be consistenet with timing and how you go about putting him to sleep.

Try using the calming baby bath, some calming music and lay him in bed when his eyes are heavy and let him fall to sleep in the crib. Like I said it may take a few weeks but in the long run you will be happy that you did it.

37 y/o SAHM of 3 boys
15, 7 and 4 1/2

1 / 3