When Should I Be Concerned If My 13 Month Old Is Not Saying Alot?

I've taken my 13 months old to the ENT to see if his ears are blocked (nothing there), I read books with (he's somewhat interested), and try to speak slowly so he can see how I'm saying things... However, my little man is just not saying any words on a consistant basis. I don't know if I'm just overly concerned (my 3 year was talking early) or if I should be talking to someone to get help for him... Anyone have a similar situation? He's hitting all other "milestones" but this one has me concerned?

Thanks for any feedback.

THANK YOU to everyone who wrote me back! You all gave such great advice and I really appreciate all the feedback. My little guy is babbling more (saying UP, MAMA, DADA, BABA) but I don't feel so anxious to push as I was. I'm going to talk about it with the ped in my 15 month appointment, but I feel so much more ... calm about the whole thing. You've all helped me calm down a bit :)

THANKS!

My brother did not talk until he was 3 years old. Nothing. Not even mama and baba. I was born after him and started speaking in 2-3 word sentences at 14 months, and he was still silent. People kept telling my mom he must be deaf or retarded, and she had him tested, but nothing. Then, at all once, he started talking and now we can't shut him up. He did not show any other signs of problems--he understood language, managed to communicate with signs, facial expressions, and grunts; did not walk on his tip toes, etc.

I was concerned about my daughter who is now 22 months. At around 18 months she all of a sudden started talking and in mini sentences. It was truly amazing. She also loves books and never watches TV. I was concerned because the other kids in her daycare class were speaking really well early on and I could only get about 5 words from her. She also had constant ear infections - to the point they wanted to put tubes in. My husband and I now joke about it because now she talks so much that we say "which was better, her not talking or her talking constantly." If the ENT says there isn't any blockage or previous damage then either get a second opinion or give him some time.

My son did not start repeating and saying a lot of words until 20-21 months. He said about 10 words between 15-18 months. He wasn't saying any words except maybe ma at 13 months. My ped said it is completely normal for boys to start talking between 20-24 months.

Boys usually take a little longer to start speaking than girls. Just google it and you will find lots of information. The most important thing is to talk about what is going on around them. It doesn't matter what they say as much as what they hear. If you want your child to commuincate more with you, you could try a few sign language signs. This is my favorite web site to look up signs. Start with something you know he really likes, car or book, milk or airplane. Signing is a second language just like teaching them spanish early on. My son is 15 months old and signs 20 different words and he says about 20 words too. Sometimes he signs and sometime he speaks the words. http://commtechlab.msu.edu/Sites/aslweb/browser.htm

Good Luck.

All kids speak at different times. My oldest son didn't speak much until about age 2 and is fine. I wouldn't worry.

I have two daughters. One just turned four and the other is two in two weeks. The older one talked alot at a very young age and I expected it from the younger one too. Like yours, however, she didn't speak much. She would use similar sounds and she seemed to understand words and follow direction alright. I just let it go and by about 16 months she really picked up on words and would speak many new ones each day. Now that she's almost two, I feel she's right on track with other kids and still picking up new words all the time. I had to realize too that all kids develop on their own and not to worry that she didn't keep pace with her older sister. Only you will feel whether there may really be a problem and to take them in. Otherwise, give them time.

If it will bring you some peace of mind, I suppose there's no harm in checking into things further (e.g., Early Intervention) as some have suggested, but I just wanted to encourage you not to worry. My daughter spoke extremely early - people couldn't believe how verbal she was - and since she was my first child, I had nothing to compare it to, but then when my first son was born and barely said anything by age 2, I was a little worried ... but not too worried since he clearly understood everything, as evidenced by his behavior. Then, between 2-3, he blossomed verbally like you wouldn't believe, and now at almost 4, he is very talkative. Currently with my second son, who is almost 12 months, I'm going through the same thing: he can barely say any words, and the 3 that he can say (mama, dada, uh-oh), he rarely says. However, as with my first son, his actions show that he understands everything, so I'm not worried - I know with time, these boys do start to talk, and then we wish they wouldn't talk quite so much!

Hi~
My ped. says they should have at least 3 words by 15 months and hopefully closer to 6. I was concerned at 12 months my daughter didn't have any, but had 20 words at 15 months. SO maybe he'll "bloom" soon! She also said to make sure they are understanding (receptive lnguage)m is good--then the words will come!

I really would not be concerned at this point. He is still really young. My son, who is now 5, did not really talk much until he was 2. Now I can't keep him quiet! : ) Give it some time and I'm sure he will start chatting away. Just remember, every child is different, so try not to compare him to your older child. Take care!

If you are concerned, call Ealry Intervention. I have the phone number for Lake County, but not for Kane, since I think that is where you live. The reason you should do this is because it is regulated by the state. Your child needs to be 30% behind to qualify for services. They do a free evaluation. If you call speech therapy places they will say they do a free "screening", but they charge big bucks for the evaluation. I know this too well first hand. Also, Early Intervention may be cheaper than private speech therapy, because paying for this is based upon your household income and the number of people in your family. E-mail me if I can help you answer more questions. Good luck. My ped. said it is better to start therapy earlier if you need it than later. You are doing the right thing. :) Call, it will at least give you peace of mind if he doesn't need it. Good Luck :)

1 / 3