When Is Too Late to Respond?

Hi all . . . this isn't an earth shattering question but . . . I don't regularly check this site, sometimes it's a couple times a day, sometimes its a couple times a week. If I have the time, I'll go a few pages back but sometimes debate (just to myself :-) on replying or not because I fear it's been too long and they will no longer be checking.

How long before you don't respond? Would you then send a PM? If you ask a question, how long to do "check" for responses?
Also, on the So What Happened - do people go and check those? Usualy they are explanations that help me answer.

Thanks - have a great one.

I get an email whenever someone responds to one of my questions, so I would say there is no such thing as too late.

Just got a response about my sick cat, a YEAR later. Well, we put him down in NOVEMBER. Annoying.

Usually if it's just a run of the mill opinion like "who's hotter?" JFF question, no time limit.

A "My child has a high fever. Should I take her in?", no later than a day. Obviously, the issue should have been taken care of by then.

I just try to use common sense when choosing what/when to respond.

That's too bad about the really late response about your cat, Bethy. Hope it wasn't me!

I would say that if you think that there is something you could say to help the person, then it's not too late. What you might do is pop her a PM and tell her that you just saw her thread about "x", and wrote a response. If, like me, she does not receive emails from MP (and I don't know why I don't), she won't miss your response. (But she'll see your PM when she opens up her flowers.

good question, generally I stop checking after a week, BUT if i ask a new quesition and check on My questions to see if ive gotten new replies and notice the number of answers from teh question bfoer chnanging then i'll check no matter how long i'tsb een.

i say if it' moves you answer, If it moves you greatly pm, otherwise pass it by or you would be here 24/7 catching up.

I don't get an email when I get responses... but I DO like to go and check the 'my questions' tab each night to see if I got any new answers.

I do know that the BIG questions (if they get so many answers) make it to the side bar on the home page about 1-3 weeks after it is posted... so then a whole new round of answers starts. I usually check my answers to a question for about 1 week if it doesn't seem 'popular', up to 4 weeks if it is. :)

I base how late I answer on that... If there are less than say, 10-15 answers, I will only answer up to a week or so late... but if there are a TON of answers, I will answer up to 3-4 weeks late. :)

I also have gotten an e-mail from Mamapedia when my question was answered several weeks later.

i always get pinged by MP when someone responds to one of my questions, even if it's months later.
if i get thrown back to an old question for some reason i'll still reply to it. the only person who is likely to read my response is the OP, but that's okay.
:) khairete

I stopped getting an email from MP for anything other than someone sending me a private message. I was just getting way too many since I'm on here all the time. =)

I will go and check my own questions for a couple days at least, for new answers. I like to give everyone a flower that takes the time to answer me.

95% of the time, I'm only on here during the week days, not weeknights or weekends. So on Monday morning, I start at the current question, and work my way back to where I left off on Friday. So the oldest question I would respond to may be 3 days old. I won't reply if its, "my kid is sick, what do I do?" I would assume they already had that taken care of. But I will respond to anything else. =)

1 / 3