When is the best time to take Zyrtec?

I have seasonal allergies, which seem to affect me more in the morning (Post nasal drip, itchy eyes, cough). My doctor advised me to take Zyrtec. Does anyone else take this, and when is it best to take it--- before bed, or when you wake in the morning?

Summary

Some people take Zyrtec in the morning, while some find it more effective to take it during the evening. Some people swear by one allergy medication over the other so you may get posts who say they can't take Clarinex. If you do find that Zyrtec doesn't work - switch to another.

My children and I all take Zyrtec in the evening before bed as advised by our physician. I have taken it during the day on occassion and it does make me sleepy.

Hi Nichole,
My son and husband take theirs in the morning. My son used to take 1/2 dose in the morning and 1/2 dose in before bed, but not that he is bigger (7 years old), he takes one full dose in the morning. I hope this helps.
A.
www.opportunityofyourlife.net

I take zyrtec-d each evening, since it makes me sleepy if I take it during the day. No other med works for me but zyrtec-d! U can also get a prescription for Singulair but it's expensive. It works well in conjunction with any allergy med by supressing the immune response to allergens. Anyway the pharmacist usually can answer a's about Zyrtec if you ask. If your eyes are itchy, ask for Patanol eye drops, I think they are over the counter now. Good luck!!

I have take Zrtec every morning, and it works great for me!

Hi-

I've been on allergy shots and meds for years. The latest ons I'm on our Zyrtec and Zyrtec-D. I take Zyrtec at night, and the Zyrtec-D during the day. My allergies make me tired, so the Z_D works best during the day, but would keep me up at night, so I take the regular Zyrtec before bed. I've been on these for a couple of years, and I have to say, I hate being only able to get 24 of the D when I used to get 90 at a time through mail order prescription.

It seems to work well for me, b/c I can really tell when I forgot to take it; it makes that much of a difference!

I have tried Zyrtec and it made me too tired. I take Clarinex - 5 mg. and I take it first thing in the morning. If I get post nasal drip - I will take an occasional Sudafed if it's really a bad allergy day.

Some people swear by one allergy medication over the other so you may get posts who say they can't take Clarinex. If you do find that Zyrtec doesn't work - switch to another.

Hi, N....

I know this response is late, but I just thought I'd let you know that my Mom suffers from HORRIBLE allergies and she tried Zyrtec but it wouldn't last a complete 24 hour cycle for her so she asked her doctor and he told her that sometimes a store-brand of the same medicine can work differently (their formulas can be slightly different) and he recommended that she try that route...and so she did. She decided to start out with Walgreen's brand of Zyrtec and she couldn't believe the difference---it worked a whole 24-hour cycle for her and she is really happy with it. Plus, she was even more happy that it cost a lot less than the Zyrtec brand. So, I just thought I'd let you know this in case the Zyrtec doesn't work the full cycle for you. Allergies stink! I sure hope you find relief!

By the way...she takes it first thing in the morning so that by the time she gets ready for work and drives to work it has started working. But, it works differently for everyone so you'll need to find what works best for you. ~Kimberly

1 / 3