When Is Okay to Use Crib Bumpers?

My almost 6 month old son is now rolling around in his crib and getting his feet caught in the bars which makes him cry out at night. He already gets up at least 2x a night to eat (we're still breast feeding) and now with the additional night time get ups I am not sleeping more than 1 or 2 hours in a row before he's crying. My question is this, can you use crib bumpers or not? I know that infants are not supposed have anything in their cribs to avoid crib death but what do I do getting some sleep? Has anyone put the bumpers back in the crib? Should I set up his pack and play so he can't get his feet caught in the bars? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Wow, 41 responses, amazing! Thank you all for taking the time to send your thoughts. I did purchase the mesh bumpers and they are helping out. I had heard of them before I posted my request but totally forgot about them when I needed them (sleep deprivation I'm sure) so that was great advice. Now that we aren't getting up the additional times, I can focus on cutting back on the night nursing. One step at a time, right?
- H.

I put them in my son's crib, but i stuffed the majority of it between the matress and the crib rail. As my son got older, and I could trust him a little bit more I pulled a little bit more of the bumper up. Now I find him with his foot on top of the bumper up against the rail.

I have a very active chronic non-sleeper who used to do the same thing. He is now 12 months and still has the bumper in his crib. I have lowered the matress which seems to help. Good luck! I have questioned whether or not I have done the right thing but it has worked for us.

I still use the crib bumpers and my son is one year old! He loves cuddling up and once they can move on their own if something is over their face or suffocating them they will move out of the way-esp once the risk of SIDS has gone down...so I would put them back if thats what you feel you need to do! My son doesnt even try to climb out yet-knock on wood-which is the other reason they say to take them out! I couldnt imagine making him sleep against the hard wood esp the way he likes to cuddle!

Try the mesh, breathable bumpers. A friend gave me her sons when he was done with them but I am not sure where she got them.

I think crib bumpers are a big NO NO, rather I have seen a type of netting that secures to the sides of the rib to remedy the problem you are having w/ the feetgetting stuck in between the bars. Look in that catalog Right Start or The Right Start...they seem to have all that neat baby stuff in there...good luck...try taking a nap when the baby does...the house work can wait!!!

I personally use bumpers for the very reason that you just cited. I have to believe that my 4 month old is smart enough and strong enough that if his face is pressed up against the bumper and he's having a hard time breathing, that he will react and turn his head. He certainly does when we tease him and plug his nose, he knows something isn't right. I've used bumpers from day one because I would hate to see him get his arm caught and then turn and damage his shoulder. It's a permeable fabric so it will allow air to pass through. I have a video monitor so I wake up every so often and just see where he is at in his crib, he's never been too close to the bumper, but if he was, I'd just go in and re-adjust.

I've seen it already suggested, but definitely try the breathable bumper. It will prevent his limbs from getting caught more effectively than a regular bumper, and it's safer.

Good luck & hope you get some better sleep soon!

H.,
We've had crib bumpers in our youngests crib since she has been born. She didn't use her crib up until she was four months of age because she wouldn't sleep anywhere but her swing, but we kept the bumpers in and when we actually took them out because my husband felt better about not having them in there, she wouldn't sleep as well, she would wake up frequently. So we put them back in. Honestly, she has NEVER played with them, they do protect her especially at her age of 18 months now she'll get overly excited about things and just roll around and plop down in her crib so I am glad they are there. I think that as long as you make sure everything is securely fastened and in place, that you should be fine and hopefully get some peaceful, much needed, sleep! Good luck :)

I never used one - but when I was looking for one this is what I found.

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId...

When my nephew was 9 months old he got his leg caught in between the rails of his crib and fractured his leg.If that's not sad enough, because he had young parents he was taken out of the home for 8 months,they just assumed it was intentional or atleast accidentaly done by a parent and was being hidden. The state monitored his health, his parents were questioned constantly on what happened, as were myself and family.His baby brother was born a few weeks after the accident and they tried to take him when he left the hospital.It was horrible, and unbelievable on the states behlf and the doctor who recommended he be taken out of the home.I am telling you this because I don't want it to happen to you or anyone else.After all this happened he got his leg stuck again,so did his baby brother.Those other times did not end with injuries,thank goodness.His mother had put bumers in both cribs for the boys, but they would stick their legs above the bumpers.When I had my child, I found that they had come out with a new type of bumper. It is breathable so if your baby leans his face against it, there isn't the risk of suffocation.It's a bit taller than most and is attatched with velcro for a secure fit and without the dangers of ties. I purchased mine from www.onestepahead.com I hope this helps. I realized i rambled a bit but 5 yrs later I still can not believe a peditrician and the state would be so irresponsible as to remove a precious baby from a perfectly safe home, especially when he needed the comfort of mommy and daddy the most.And just to be clear,the state from the very beginning could not find any reason not to return my nephew to his parents.They dragged it out, I beleive because they wanted to be right but knew they were sooo wrong.Just our tax dollars "hard at work"

1 / 3