When Is It Okay to Take Baby Out in Public?

My daughter is four weeks and four days old. i know doctors say wait tell their at lest a month old but i want suggtions from mothers. i take her to the store but no one is allowed to touch or get to close.

Thank you all so much. It helps alot to hear your oponions and advice. I will wait tell shes at least two months old before taking her any where else but for a guick run to the store.

I waited one full month until I "debuted" by daughter. I also asked that everyone wash their hands AND use a hand sanitizer because you can't confirm that people actually know how to properly wash their hands. My doctor recommended that as well.
I think you should be good now, but remember that it is still cold and flu season and that no one should still touch the baby without the above regime.
I hope that helps and good luck,
P.

I took my son out pretty early on. Here's the trick, though. Wear your baby in a wrap (like a gypsymama wrap or similar). That way, people don't try to touch baby, and can't get super close. Plus, you have the added benefit of being close to baby!

Babies are born with immunity transferred from the mother. Also, your breastmilk will provide antibodies to protect her from whatever either one of you are exposed to. It is a good idea, as someone has already mentioned, to carry the baby in a sling or wrap. Most mamas that I know are out and about with their new ones within the first week of life. The bigger issue is making sure that you don't overdo it, for your own well being!

I think it's ok at about 6 weeks if you still don't let others touch. With the amount of sicknesses floating around now I would just be very careful. My daughter got very sick from my other kids school when she was young. It was scary but she turned out ok. I think as long as you are careful it will be ok. Try to stay away from the mall when it's very croweded though. Good luck. I'm an older mom and I wish you the best in your quest to be a good young mom!

Like most other moms, I'd suggest at least 6 weeks. With my first, I kept him home for a full 2 months. With my second, she was home for 6 weeks. With my third, I took her out at nine days (shame on me!!!) to take newborn pictures at the mall, of all places. But I knew the photographer and I knew what kind of pics she was capable of taking in the studio. It was a risk, Daddy was okay with it too (he's a paramedic), but it was in August--off-season for colds/flu/RSV. If it was winter, I definitely would not have done this. She was in her carrier the whole time (until we were ready to actually do the shoot) with a blanket over the carrier. We immediately left when we were done--I went later by myself to see and order pics. Aside from this photo shoot escapade, and a quick trip to Costco for diapers where an elderly lady scowled at me in line when she asked how old my baby was and I told her she was 3 weeks, I kept her home for a month. Thank God she didn't get sick, and I do love to look at the "Anne Geddes-like" pictures in her nursery and scrapbook. The sweet, precious pictures will be cherished always. With each baby, their public debut got progressively sooner. I think 6 weeks is a good time. Just remember that just because your baby shouldn't be in public doesn't mean you can't get out yourself. You can go stir crazy at home! Just be sure to wash and sanitize before holding your darling baby.

I hope that helps and good luck,
P.

I have 3 children (1 1/2, 3 &4) and took all of them out as soon as I felt strong enough myself. With our oldest, we went out to dinner the night we came home from the hospital! Just going out to the park, store or wherever is not going to make your child sick. You're the parent & you decide who gets close to & who touches your child. An easy way to keep others from touching her is to carry her in a front pack or sling (which is safe to do from day one). It's important to wash your hands & keep items around her clean, but if children are never exposed to germs, they run the risk of getting very sick. Immunity is built little by little, over time. Don't completely change your lifestyle just because you have a newborn. Use your head, wash your hands & eat healthy - breast milk is the best source of immunity you can offer your children.

Hi, about 2 years ago I made the mistake of taking out my 3.5 week old baby, even when I was very careful with him. He ended up catching RSV, which can be fatal. He spent a 9 days in the hospital. I regret taking him out. So when that doctor gives you advice I would consider it. As for taking your baby out into the public, I would actually wait at until the baby is about 2 months.

Most people know not to touch a newborn. You can take her out whenever you want. There is no rule or law on it and infants gain immunity from mom's breast milk and the "germs" in the world. Just be careful if there is something going around. If there is, don't go out with her.
I had my son out on a blanket at the park at 3 weeks. He loved it and was smiling at all the passersby. If you are freaking out, your baby will be too. Freaking out lowers immunity, whereas, acceptance and calm create strength.

1 / 3