When Is It Ok to Give Juice?

Hello ladies! This might be a stupid question but I want to know when is it ok to start your baby on juice? I have a 6 1/2 month old who is on stage 2 foods but I only give her formula to drink or an occasional drink of water. Any feedback is appreciated!

Thank you for everyone's responses. I feel a little foolish because I didn't really even think about the sugar content and like most of you out there, I really don't want to load her with sugar. I think for now I will stick with the water, which she loves to drink. Thank you again for your advise!

I started my son on juice at about 2 months. Sounds like you coulda started a long time ago. Hope it goes okay. I also watered it down at first.

My first daughter, I started on juice at about 5 months. I only gave her about 4oz. with breakfast instead of milk/formula.
My second daughter I have found, can not tolerate the sugar in juice. As soon as I give her juice within one to two days, she has BAD diaper rash.

I started at 15 months with about 1/4 of a cup of juice and the rest water. I know you can start earier but my son was breastfed so he didn't need juice for nutrients reasons and liked water, so I just skipped it until recently.

I am a mother of 2, an almost 3 y/o and a 7 m/o and we switched to a new ped when we moved to northern Indiana - my son was 18 m/o. Believe it or not, our peditrician said to avoid juice all together. Of course my immediate reaction was, why?? I get tired of drinking same stuff. But what he said made a lot of sense. He said that all juices (OJ, grape, 100% drinks....) have no real advantage (sure there is some, but not in comparison to other things) and they are just extra calories we are giving to our kids. When I mentioned I water down the drink for my son he said if you are going to give juice, it should only be 100% (no caprisun, punches...)give it full strength because what little nutrients it does offer, you are taking that away and now it just becomes sugar water. He said the best thing you can do for your kids is give them milk (formula when little) at meal time and then water the rest of the day. If you want to give them juice have them sit down and drink it at once, not throughout the day and only once a day. Then offer water the rest of the time. As far as when to introduce it, if there isn't a need (constipation, not drinking anything else, dehydrated...) I would recommed staying with formula and water.

My 7 m/o only gets formula and an occassional water, but no juice as I don't want her to start to reject the good stuff (milk/formula/water) for the sugary drinks. It took a while to get my son from wanting juice all the time, but now that we have made the switch he now asks for water when he is thirsty instead of juice. Hope this has helped. I know where you are at with silly questions, but I know all of us are always needing advise on something, so glad you asked.
A.

There is no need to give your child juice. It is empty calories and they will then not want to drink milk or water. My child who is 3 has maybe had juice about 10x's. The only time he ever gets it is if we are at a party or his grandmother who he doesnt see very often gives it to him. Otherwise is it just milk or water in our house.

It bears repeating there is NO good reason to give juice at all, it's just a bunch of sugar, water is fine to drink, you also run the risk of baby not wanting to drink water once you start juice and it can be a hard habit to break later. most docs and such do say that around 6 months you can start juice, but if you are going to do so, buy the baby juice and dilute it half and half with water, and keep in mind they should only get 4 -6 ozs a day.

My doctor has been having me give my daughter (now 1yo) water since she was 3 months old. I boil tap water and let it cool. I've tried at several stages to give her juice, but she only drinks it once in a while. I am told that since juice contains quite a bit of sugar, its not really wise to push it anyway. However, I would consider more water.

Our doctor said to not give our 11.5 month old juice too often- it's mostly sugar and not that healthy. We have used some Gerber pear juice to help with constipation, but he still mainly gets formula, milk or water!

Out of curiosity, why do you want to give her juice? Is she constipated? I think she could have it at her age, but its not really necessary for nutrition. It can, however, help with constipation.

I started my daughter on some juice at 6 months. I always dilute it...half juice, half water...and she loves it.

Our doctor said not to give juice til they are older or if their bowels are backed up. That it is pure sugar and not good for them.Read some of the labels.There is like 36 grams of sugar in like a 4 oz.glass.
Talk to your doctor and see what they say. Good luck and God Bless.

1 / 3