When Is a Good Age for 3D Movies

I have noticed that there are a lot of movies that are 3D. I was curious to see what other moms thought about these types of movies. What is the appropriate age to let your child see a 3D movie. My son is 4 and I'm afraid of messing with his eyes and causing headaches.

His eyes will be fine, the question is, will he keep the glasses on the whole time..

I am more worried about the volume of the theaters.. I always took earplugs just in case it was just too loud.

FYI, Toy Story 3 is just as good without the 3D..

my 4 and 5 year old daughters get scared at every movie in 2D (even UP!) , so we are waiting to let them see anything in 3D! haha!!!!

No, they did a study and posted a report saying not to take children under 7 because their eye muscles aren't developed enough for 3-d. last year, before knowing this, i took my nieces (who were 5 1/2 and 3 1/2 then) to aliens vs monsters in 3-d. they could not watch it. it hurt their eyes, gave them a headache, and so they ended up sleeping the rest of it.

I know some movies such as Toy Story 3 have 3-D showings and 2-D showings. I will be taking my four year old to the regular showing.

We did the 3D Toy Story ride at Disneyland and my 2 yr old and 5 yr old loved it. They didn't have any problems seeing or with headaches afterward. The glasses help bring out a separation of colors that give the illusion of dimension. There isn't a focus or correction given to the glasses, just that they are polarized, as such, for changing the appearance of what you see. It looks flat, 2D, without the glasses and has dimension with the glasses.

Good Q. No idea.

My son was 7 for his first 3d movie (Xmas Carol), and then we/he watched Avatar in the theatres 4 times this year (also age 7).

We've found that the IMAX 3d gives us headaches unless we're in the dome theatre... but that Real3d is fantastic and headache free.

My son is 4 and we have skipped the 3-d. I didn't even think about headaches/eye muscles not be developed...very interesting. I was only thinking about wearing the glasses through the movie, which I knew he would not do.

He really enjoyed How to Train Your Dragon and Toy Story 3....both in 2D

My son has done the 3D stuff at an educational IMAX and he has done it at Disney, and I have to say that while he has never complained about his eyes or a headache, he doesn't love movies that are 3D. It often times scares him when everything is popping out. He saw Toy Story 2D and loved it, so I figure there is no reason to spend the extra money to see it in 3D too.

1 / 3