When Is a Boy Too Old to Go into Women's Bathrooms/dressing Rooms Etc?

My son just turned 5 and is a very big and tall kid, I am sure most people think he is at least 8 or 9. I don't feel like he is old enough to go alone in the Men's Bathroom (unless I am standing and waiting outside the door). I still bring him with me when I need to go to the bathroom. I worry about pedophiles and just the fact he can't completely button and unbutton his own pants. What are other mother's opinions? I do bring him to a changing stall in a dressing room and have talked with him about it being rude to look at others while they are getting dressed. I just don't want others to feel uncomfortable.

Thanks everyone I am glad to hear there are a lot of mothers that feel the same way. When I said dressing room I was more specifically talking about a rec center, I guess it would be more appropriate to take him to a changing stall and be quick. I don't feel comfortable with him showering and changing alone in a locker room and unfortunately my husband works a lot so he usually isn't around. As for going to the men's room alone he begs me to go in there because he wants to use the urinal, I will make sure to use all of your tips. Especially checking for another exit, which is something I have never thought about and that really scares me. Thanks for all your input I feel much better!

Hi. Although i have a daughter, I hope my answer will help you. I recently went shopping while my daughter was in school and when I went into the restroom, there was a mom with hr 3 boys ranging from, my guess, ages 4 to 7. I didn't think twice about the fact that this woman brought her 3 sons into the lades restroom. Do what YOU feel is necessary for you child. If you're not comfortable with him alone in the mans bathroom, then by all means, be MY GUEST and use the ladies room. One can't be too careful now a days! Best of luck to you!

Most of the rules say six years old. That is for places like the YMCA, if I am remembering right.

When you go to someplace public, stand outside of the bathroom to wait for him. I NEVER felt bad pushing the door open and calling to him to ask he was okay. He knew to answer me. It puts every single man in that bathroom on notice that I was there and meant business.

At some point he's just too old for you to take in the ladies room. So do what I'm suggesting and don't worry about decorum. He has to use a public facility at some point without you.

At five years old, I think he should be going into the bathroom with you. My son is 8. About one year ago, he started to feel uncomfortable going into the girls bathroom. He now goes into the men's bathroom. Before he goes in I remind him not to talk to anyone, go to the bathroom and come right out. I wait outside the bathroom. We have never had any issues.

Making strangers (that you will never see again) uncomfortable vs. something terrible happening to your child. Kind of a no-brainer to me.

My boys are 8 and soon to be 11. I take them to the family bathroom. Sorry - I don't trust public bathrooms. Especially since that kid got raped and murdered in the public bathroom in Southern California years ago - that stuck with me...the murderer walked RIGHT PAST THE MOM!!! SICKO!!

They go into dressing rooms with me if I don't have a friend or their father with me.

I don't care if people don't like it. they can kiss my butt...my children are my Gifts from God - I'm not going to just leave them to the wolves...if people think it's rude, too bad!

I was denied access to a women's dressing room at a local store because I had my 5-yr-old son with me. The employee who wouldn't let me use the dressing room told me that the other women would be uncomfortable with a boy seeing them naked. I told her that he was only 5, and asked how many women were parading around naked in a public dressing room. She then "offered" to watch my son while I tried my clothes on (I'm so sure).
I really kept my patience with her, but thought about suing the store (irrational!), and then settled for talking to her manager. The employee was fired, but I still don't shop there. The safety of my children comes first, always!

Little boys in the ladies room is fine if they dont try to look under stalls, yack about how it stinks and so on. Teaching them to be quiet because it's the "WOMENS" restroom and he's only coming in because you think he's too little to go to the mens alone is what he needs to know so he will maintain while in there. I've had some pretty bad little boy incidents in the ladies room before--if your son is too old to go into the stall with you while YOU pee then he's too old to be in the ladies room. My sons went to the mens room at age 4 and 5, they were a tag team, that helped for me as I waited outside the door for them. The actual chances of a pedafile waiting in that bathroom for your child are slim to none really.

My 10yr old & 7 yr old still come with me if I am not with my husband. I personally know of a 12yr old boy that was raped in a bathroom, that's more than enough for me!

My oldest son is 5 and I still take him into the bathroom/dressing room. I don't care what people think--his safety is #1. Most bathrooms/dressing rooms are private, so people do their "business" behind closed doors. So, it's not like your son is staring at a woman changing clothes. Do it as long as you feel comfortable.

Are you aware how quick a pedophile can violate a boy?? I will tell you 2 incidents that happened here in my town-
A 12 year old boy was molested in a movie theater bathroom while his mother waited right outside the door.
An 8 year old was raped in the bathroom of the library by an 18 year old. This library was in the municipal building ALONG WITH THE POLICE STATION! Thankfully video cameras were there and they were able to ID the guy and arrest him.
Both of these true stories indicate that a pedophile does not care where or when or who is around. There is no safe time to send your child in the men's room alone. Take him into the womens with you or use the family bathroom. It is uncomfortable when they get older-I get that. Personally I would rather be safe than sorry.

1 / 3