When Do You Tell a Prospective Employer That You Are Pregnant? - Downers Grove,IL

I am 12 weeks pregnant, have my 2nd interview for a possible new job this afternoon. Do I tell them in this interview, or wait until I get an offer? I don't want to be dishonest, but it may affect their decision to know that I will be out for 8 weeks not too long into the job. What is the right thing to do?

Thank you to everyone for your responses! I decided to tell them at the 2nd interview about my pregnancy. My thinking was that if it made a difference to them, that it wasn't the right job for me. When I told them, they said "Congratulations" and "No problem, we'll work around it". I have been offered the position. I have not accepted yet, because I am waiting to hear the cost for insurance and if there is a waiting period to be eligible for the insurance. If there is, it may cause a problem, since Cobra is $1400 per month! Anyway, I went with the complete honesty view, and am glad that I did. It was the right thing to do in my situation. Thanks again to everyone!

I am also a supervisor and while honesty is the best policy, you do not have to reveal personal information in an interview, nor can a company ask. However, they can ask you if there is anything that might prevent you from performing the job responsibilities. If the pregnancy would prevent you from doing the job, you should reveal it. If not, I would wait until after you have been offered the job. They can't go back on their offer because you tell them you're pregnant.

I'm a supervisor for my department and if i was looking for a prospective employee i would want all honesty. Some places in some states require that you are on the job for more than 6 months before allowing fmla leave. And maternity leave falls under that category. So you have to look into that as well about that. Also, the more honest you are the more they will appreciate you. Even if they decided not to hire you. But they will keep you in their minds. And if you don't tell them, remember you have a 90 day probationary period you have to go through - telling them after you've been hired can lead you into unemployment. If think if you were about 6 weeks along it will definitely be a different scenario because it's easy to hide for another 10 weeks or so. But be very honest.

I thnk that you should tell them when you are ready and not before. Most may not agree, but, I don't believe that it is any of their business. I know many people who were more than 3 months along before they felt comfortable or ready to share the news. I was almost 5 months before I told my employer and I took a 7 month leave of absence.

I don't believe fact that you are pregnant should be a considering factor in you getting the job. I guess if it were all women of child bearing age would be asked if she were pregnant on job interviews.LOL It's not about being dishonest. How much of or personal business are we having to put out. I think people are just going to far. I've even heard of employers checking the credit rating of potential using that to not hire them. They even go on facebook to see what type of pictures you have posted and who your friends are.
The way the economy is right now and seeing how hard it is to find a job in the first place I would not say anything.
Men don't have to go on job interviews and "bare their souls" why do we? don't we have to work and provide for our families just the same. Sorry to ramble but it makes me a little mad that women have to put up with so much.

I've been in your situation. I am a lawyer so you would think lawyers would comply with the law. I did not tell them I was pregnant untilbafter I accepted the offer. It really isn't about honesty, it's your personal information and it's about survival. Judging by the way I was treated after I informed my employer I was pregnant, I'm sure I would not have Been offered the job had I told them earlier. You have a right to work and as long as you think you can "prove" yourself, or sustain that pressure, and believe in yourself, that you are a good worker and you are an asset to your employer, you should get through any adversity. It was very tough for me, I was treated very poorly and was targeted to be fired. It was difficult to cope with that right after having a baby and I became very depressed. It was in Chicago. Good luck to you.

how can people be on here advising you to lie? you realize you will have to see these people every day, if you get the job, right? be honest! the second interview is the perfect time to tell them. you know they're interested in you. i am in a company where we are in the middle of a huge overhaul, and one thing we are doing is "taking out the trash". if i had an employee right now that i knew had lied to me and her coworkers about something like this, it would speak volumes to their character, and when downsizing started, they'd be on the list, for sure. even a year or two later. no, i wouldn't fire you for being pregnant, but i wouldn't trust you either. but i guess it just all depends on the kind of person you are, and how you want your coworkers and employers to see you. i guess if you have zero self respect and are just out to make a few quick bucks, to heck with the future, then lie. if you want to be able to hold your head up at your new job, and look forward to a future of stability for your family, then woman up and do the RIGHT thing.

to be honest, if i was your prospective employer, i wouldn't want you on my team if you were going to keep something like this from me. that's the bottom line.

Don't tell them! You need an even playing field with the other candidates and if you do you'll never know if they would have given you the job otherwise. People are clever at coming up with other more legal reasons they did not hire someone. People who have been with an employer for some time don't always tell them this early, so I don't think it's a bad thing.
There's a reason prospective employers are not legally allowed to ask about that stuff during the interview process. Let's face it, in another situation, someone could get pregnant immediately after being hired and it wouldn't be that different which is why it used to be so difficult for women of child bearing age to get hired.

It is illegal for an employer to ask you about marital or family status on an application or an interview. If you decide to volunteer this information, you have put your prospective employer in the awkward position of having information they are not entitled to, and not allowed to use in a decision (no matter how much they want to). Should they decide not to hire you, you have no way to prove it was related to your pregnancy (illegal) as they will give another reason. It also shows ignorance of the laws designed to protect you if you volunteer this info, which may not be looked highly upon.

For those who suggest it is dishonest, my guess is few have gone through professional interviews and understand the laws that are designed to prevent discrimination, or they are employers themselves who would like to circumvent those laws. This is your personal business, and legally, any prospective employers have no right whatsoever to knowledge of it until after you are hired. You may think it is noble or chivalrous or whatever to tell them, but don't kid yourself. Follow the law. It was designed to protect you.

The honest thing to do is to tell them. If you get hired and then tell them, it could possibly lead to a hostile work environment, and you don't need the stress while pregnant. I have interviewed and ben hired by places when I was expecting, and it was no big deal. I was always upfront about it. If you go in confident in your interview, it should not be an issue.
Good luck and congratulations!

1 / 3