When Do You Limit Fluids at Night?

I am in the beginning stages of potty training. Gabby is 22 months and i've reduced her milk to roughly 16 ounces a day with the last 8 ounces after dinner. She was drinking too much milk and not eating enough so the doctor told me to subsitute water in place of all the extra milk. i'm just wondering if i should cut all liquids after 7 or 7:30 pm? She generally eats dinner and snacks between 4 and 6:30, followed by her 8 oz milk. I am not doing overnights, or pull ups yet. i just want her to get the hang of the potty first but i also don't want her to wake up in the middle of the night with a full bladder and try to get out of her diaper. Do you think 7:30 is a good time to stop liquids? or maybe 7:00 ?

Thanks for all of the advice! i was premature in my thinking that potty training and holding your bladder in thru the night were part of the same process. I have only curbed Gabby's milk after dinner since she was not eating enough. She get's her 8 oz, then as much water and food as she wants after dinner. Thanks for all of the advice!

I waited until my daughter started waking up dry. The key for us, though, was getting her to go right before bed. She'd usually go at 7 (bathtime) and the I'd make her go again at 7:30. She typically would have milk and water around 6, and then a tiny glass of water right before bed at 7:30.

FYI, I read that night training tends to follow day training by 5 months. This held true for us. My girl just night trained. She wanted to wear her undies to bed, I told her she had to be dry 5 nights in a row. We had a few tiny regressions. I also cloth diapered, and she had no desire to sleep in a wet diaper. It was about 3 months in all, and then, at month 5, she was totally done.

Do not limit fluids at all, this will only dehydrate her and only make things worse. I've written on this numerous times. First you have to understand day time dryness is totally different than night time dryness. Not to say your child will be like this, but it's not unusual for kids to not be dry at night until 6-7yrs old. Most kids do not do it as soon as they are "potty trained" and that's ok.

Punishing does absolutely no good, limiting fluids does no good. It's a brain/bladder thing going on at night and if their bladder isn't letting the brain know it's full then they won't wake up too go. However, they will when they're little bodies are ready.

Ditto Carrie W.

"Night time dryness" is a SEPARATE thing from daytime potty training. Night time dryness, does not happen until even 7 years old. BIOLOGICALLY based. And per Pediatricians.

My daughter, was still wearing night time diapers (not pull-ups, Pull-ups are useless, more expensive, and leaks), until she was already 5 years old.
My girl is 7 now... and once in a blue moon will still have a night time accident. It is not big deal.
I simply use waterproof bed pads, directly under her. It makes clean up much easier, and i have 4 of them, and I just change them out and wash it if soiled.
Even Preschool and Kindergarten and 1st graders, will have accidents at night. If that puts it in perspective for you. My daughter's Teachers, have ALL said, this is normal as well.

My son is 3.5 years old, and he is still wet at naps and during the night. No biggie.

I do not punish or withhold things or lecture my kids about accidents. It is their body.

Do not limit fluids... just to limit her peeing. That does not do anything nor teach them anything. Because night-time dryness, is biological based. It depends on their brain/nerve development/bladder connections.

Her Doctor saying she is drinking too much milk rather than food, is an entirely DIFFERENT issue. Don't tie it into, pottying.

Potty 'training' does not occur, successfully, unless the child is 'ready.' Also, don't wake her at night just to go pee... that is not helpful either. It just makes them have lack of sleep... and that is worse.

all the best,
Susan

I would not limit fluids at all. Being dry at night is a matter of maturity, she either has it, or not. If not, don't worry about it and keep using what ever method you like (diapers, pull ups, good nights, absorbent pads) and wait for her to gain night time control. Many kids take a very long time to get there, so don't worry about it. Time will solve the problem without witholding anything!

Carrie W and S H are right on the money!

with my daughter i cut liquids off after dinner (6p). what she drinks for dinner is all she gets so she doesnt leak on her blankets. i also think that if your not going to night train yet then you shouldnt worry about it just yet. give it time shes still young

I would make sure she empties her bladder before she goes to sleep.Make suer to likit her liquid intake about an hour before she goes to sleep. I agree when they are just beginning to put them still in a diaper when they go to sleep. I do not like pullups because I feel they are like diapers and it is confusing. If she is doing well then put her in big girl underware. This will be another thing to encourage her to go on the potty.I bought my son and elmo potty that talks and he likes it and is doing well with it. The poop part is a little harder then the pee but stick in there. Good luck

Just another voice chiming in to say do not limit fluids. She will mature as the potty training progresses.

We always thought that SLEEP was more important than waking up dry, so we did the pull-ups. After our daughter woke up dry for a few days in a row, we asked her if she still wanted them and she said no. This took a month or so of pull-ups, but sometimes, you just have to follow their lead and it all works out.

Good luck with potty training, you'll be done before you know it!

1 / 3