When Do You Let Your Kids Sit up Front?

I'm starting to see my daughter's (8) friends riding in the front seat all the time with their families. My daughter is about 4'10 and weighs about 70 pounds. So I'm not thinking she is big enough to sit up front. When did you let your kids sit up front for anything other than an emergency?

Added - I am in no rush, I thought it was a bit young and early, but I was wondering if I was a nut or the parents I see letting their kids sit up front. There are two vehicles I drive on a regular basis and both are large SUV's, so there are 6 seats to choose from in the back for each of my 3 kids...no need to sit up front. My 8 year old is no longer in a booster, but that's a new thing and the 6 and 4 year old are still. My daughter doesn't ask either, she more comments on how crazy it is that some of her friends do. And the air bags don't turn on in either SUV unless the weight is right, but still I'd rather hold off on moving any of them up front.

My oldest is almost 12, and there is no good reason she needs to start riding in the front seat when it is clearly not as safe as the back seat. I see other kids her age in the front, but honestly, I do not care. Why risk it? Both my kids know it is non-negotiable, so they don't even ask.

I don't. There is plenty of room in the back of the car. Wouldn't I feel AWFUL if we got in a car accident, the bag blows up and kills my kid when he would have been just fine in the back of the car. My kids don't get to annoy me into it. The answer is no is no is no is no.

My daughter (7) does not even though she has seen a few of her friends do it. And my son (11) tries to occasionly and that is when I pull the visor down and ask him to read what it says. "The backseat is the safest place for children under 12". And he goes around and sits in the back.

You aren't the nuts one. The front passenger seat is the most dangerous in the car. It's called the "death seat" for a reason. Most of the car accidents that happen, the front right seat is the one to get crushed.

My 14 year old son (5'5" and 120 pounds) only in the last year started sitting in the front seat. And that is VERY rarely. Not because he isn't "big" enough or "old" enough (I go by weight and height, NOT age), but because even I don't like sitting in the front passenger seat, knowing what I know about car wrecks.

Hold off moving them up front for as long as you can. It's a piece of mind like no other knowing that your child is safer.

This is a very sore subject with me because I'm an insurance agent and know how many kids are in accidents and some fatal because of this very issue. In AZ it's "suggested" kids 12 and under are in the backseat only. Most kids by the time they are 12 are tall enough and weigh enough to be able to handle the airbag if it goes off. You know the saying "better safe than sorry"? Well this applies here and it could be a fatal mistake. Good luck.

I am sorry but people who disregard the guidelines and let their 8 yos sit in the front are irresponsible morons-plain an simple. Why would you EVER risk your child for ANYTHING?? ESPECIALLY them begging to sit up there. Who is in charge anyhow? These parents are most likely going to let their kids drink at 18 yo because the 'want' to. And the thing about sitting in the front is the airbags! If for any reason they should go off and there is a person sitting there who is not big enough to abosrb their blow the result could be deadly. Besides that it is much safer to sit in the back seat-for everyone!

Well most 8yr olds still need a booster seat, so no they shouldn't be in the front seat at all. My son is 9yrs old, 80lbs and 4'6" and he still sits in the back seat in a booster.

The lap belt does NOT fit children, usually won't until around age 13 when the hip bones are more squared off and can hold the belt down. Little kids have rounded hip bones, the lap belt should be down on the hips, not up on the belly. i'm willing to bet the people who let their 8yr olds ridei n the front have ne ver heard of seatbelt syndrome, nor do they know (or maybe don't care) that the only thing stopping a lap belt from cutting their kid in half is the spine when its too high up on the belly.

Please, if your child is out of a booster, leave them in the back seat. Make sure your child passes the '5 step' test to be out of a booster. If you answer no to even ONE of these your child still needs a booster
1. does the shoulder belt sit across the chest and lay on the shoulder?
2. Does your childs knees bend at the edge of the seat?
3. does your childs back all the way back against the seat
4. feet flat on the floor
5. lap belt low on the hips, NOT up on the belly.

Again if you say no t oeven ONE of these, get your child back in a booster.

Here are some video's of an airbag deploying. They deploy around 350mph, like a bullet coming out of a gun. I odn't think anyone wants their child in front of this, please use common sense. A child should be over the age of 13 before sitting in the front seat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Av0WGrlTGY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2fAgW_1nD0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1o8WGB1I9Q&feature=re...

My son (8) is about the same height and weight as your daughter, he rides up front sometimes, usually if there is no room in the back, or if we ride in the truck. He no longer has a booster seat, and I would let him ride up front more, but he is very distracting!

You are definitely not a nut! There's no argument that the back is the safest place, so why rush things? Especially if your daugher's not asking to move up front. My son is 13 and still shows no interest in sitting up front, so I haven't mentioned it. I'm thankful that he's content back there. But my 10 yr old daughter is a different story ... she sees it as 'cool' and can't wait to move up front. I think she just wants control of the radio and other 'fun' buttons up front, so that scares me even more (distraction)! So I've made it clear that she's not allowed to ride up front until she's of age and size. Honestly though ... I don't know what the legal requirements are for MD! (shhh) But I'm certainly not letting her sit up there until she's at least 13 yrs and 80 pounds (maybe even later!). That's just my rule for my family :-)

1 / 3