When Do You Know If Is Adhd/autism?or Just a Normal Hyper Child?

Ok I have a 3 year old and I know kids go through stages and change is normal. But I have never been around kids and everything looks weird to me, so I don't know what is normal or what needs attention. so far her pedi thinks she is fine but I wanted to ask you mamas. Ok she can sit and watch cartoons for like 20-30 mins alone but then after that she wants to be with me in the room, i tend to leave her alone in the living room. She at times tends to be jumping up and down on the couch like she gets bored while watching tv. I think is normal but she has this time when she will run from the living room to the kitchen or go in circles. ( i have seen that decrease now that she is 3, before it was more often) the other day she threw a tantrum that everyone was shocked. she cried so much she turn red, scream, almost felt off while her dad tried to grab her. I have never seen her like that. she talks no stop and won't shut up about Michael Jackson lol. She saw the Thriller video and OMG. even if u ask her what are u doing? she will bring Michael Jackson into the convo. Why? Why does she keep mentioning something so much and at times makes no sense at all. Im sorry is long I just have lots of questions. she is going to preschool in sept, hopefully.She now has this thing where she will cry if she hears lots of people singing happy birthday. really weird today at church she started t cry cause they sang it. like she cover her ear but she passed her hearing test Thanks moms

Normal! When my 3 yr. old hears the birthday song, he smiles and wants me to hold him. Why? I have no idea! He also LOVES the movie "UP" and will talk about it all the time. The first thing he says when he wakes up in the morning is, "Mama, can we watch UP??" I also bet my life that if I let my boys jump on the couch, they would do it all day long! They also love to run around in circles. I wish I had that much energy!! :)

TOTALLY NORMAL...typical 3 yr old...take her outside sometime to expel some energy..being in a house all the time running from room to room can cause any body to feel "trapped"...give her some freedom to do things too, she will throw a tantrum if you don't let her "help"...even if it seem to annoy you or slow you down.

This all sounds TOTALLY normal. Very very normal.

For adhd at this age you'd be looking for the periods of INTENSE concentration that come along with adhd... so at three, think 1-4 hours of concentration on anything interesting, and screaming melt downs if you tried to pull them away.

You're also not looking at autism at ALL from what you've described. (Aspies are a kind of high functioning autism).

She sounds like a perfectly normal/ healthy/ happy 3yo. Although, fair warning; if you skipped the terrible twos... be prepared for independence seeking (aka the terrible 3's) in your future.

R
(adhd-c mum to an adhd-c kiddo)

I'm a mom to an Aspie kid, and I'll admit that I see everything through that filter! From what you describe, your child sounds fine! Kids that age do have the occasional tantrum. The only thing to keep an eye out for is more sensory issues. My daughter started covering her ear to things that didn't seem that loud at around 3. In our case, it was an indicator that there was something going on. But that by itself really isn't a concern. See how your daughter does when she starts school. Can she pay pretty good attention? Is she socializing well? If thing seem "off" to you then, then don't ignore that voice inside you and get her assessed. If she seems fine, then she probably is! Quite frankly, I don't know how anyone can properly diagnose adhd or add at 3! I think it comes with the age!

www.littlebitquirky.blogspot.com

She sounds like a normal 3 year old. My daughter had so much energy when she was that age. What you might like to do to use up some of that energy is sign her up for a dance class provided she's fully potty trained. I'd also take her out for a daily walk or to the park or the mall. A change of pace keeps them from jumping on furniture:)

M

'Ok she can sit and watch cartoons for like 20-30 mins alone but then after that she wants to be with me in the room, i tend to leave her alone in the living room. '

Encourage her to be involved/ help with what your doing so she gets more mommy time engaged with you so she can learn more about interpersonal relations. Paying attention to TV is not connecting and is thus frustrating to her. Some kids cry with happy birthday because it is a lot of unexpected emotion/attention all at once.

'She at times tends to be jumping up and down on the couch like she gets bored while watching tv.'won't shut up about Michael Jackson lol. She saw the Thriller video and OMG.'

Spend some time reading to her, teaching about many topics and she will have other things to talk about. It will also be easier to listen to her when she talks about other things, she will feel more heard and her behavior will improve.
That all said, she may need a little professional help and you may benefit from the guidance as well. You will get some more ideas just from the evaluation so consider it. Good Luck to you.

She seem sto be responding to her environment normally - watching cartoons for 30 mins is showing her attention span to be healthy however most tv exposure & cartoons are not so healthy for her unless it is something calming & reassuring like Franklin or Blue's Clues or Little Bill. Most children's shows are hyperactive in and of themselves which the children internalize and then exhibit afterwards. THey don't know what to do with all that excess stimulation and energy. Very simiple focused and quiet children's shows for little ones are the only ones my son responded to positively. Also the jumping and running around is normal as children do need a physical exercise outlet. Just make sure it isn't from too much sugar or dairy in her diet - that can cause much behavioral activity like hyperactivity. Lastly - Thriller is scary for a little one - he turns into something like a vampire - it's about a little mini fright video - not scary to an adult but definietly for such a little one. Please screen out her witnessing and exposure to such videos and tv shows and give her a safe reassurring and calming voice and environment.

Your daughter sounds VERY NORMAL to me.
Kids of this age don't show a long attention span, and they go to one thing to another (running, coloring, playing with toys, etc...)
My kid does not like the music at church (he cries too); he says is too sad (!!) the same with Lullabies, since he was born he always cried with the Lullabye song; He rather to listen at "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star"
My little one loooves running in circles, and jumping and going to one place to another in the house. it does not mean at all he has a "behavioral problem" or "syndrome" or else. HE IS NORMAL! and has his own temper and character. A kid being normal is not hyper, is just being a kid. Many children are overdiagnosed with "behavioral problems" (adhd etc...) and they are just normal kid who needs room to play; indoor activities and lots of outdoor time;a good and a healthy diet and lots of patience.
Your kid is very normal, he is expressing himself and he is showing when he is emotional (exactly like mine!)
Don't worry be happy!!!

1 / 3