When Do Kids Stop Wearing Diapers to Bed?

My son is almost 4. He still soaks his overnight/heavy duty diaper. He also frequently gets the bed wet. We have stopped evening drinking and I am now even getting him up in the night to go to the bathroom. All that really means is I end up using two diapers a night cause by the time (around 2 am) I get him up he is pretty wet already and needs a new one to keep him from leaking onto the bed.

We have tried all kinds of overnight diapers... and found one that works the best... that isn't the issue for me.... I am just wondering about what age they wake up to go to the bathroom. He has been potty trained for 6 months now.

Any other thoughts or ideas?

My son will be 5 in feb and is a super deep sleeper. He wears the pampers night time pull-ups for big kids. Pediatrician said it's developmental for at least another year!

I hear this over and over with boys, for some reason. My son, too, at 6, still wets at night. I've tried waking him too, but it just makes for a bad nights sleep for all of us. I just put him in a pull up and am waiting for it to end. I know it will. I don't stress about it.

I have the same issue and hes about to turn 7 we have him go before bed than i wake him before i go to bed to go and than he also gets up around 4 with an alarm and than he gets up m-f at 630. SOme day he doesn't go at all on any of the potty trips nor doe she wet the diaper than on other days hes soaks them. So I hve ask the pediatrician and he says as long as hes not having accidents during the day theres nothing to do other than wait for his bladder to get bigger and he can control it every time. You do it during the night try having him go before you go to bed and than again during the night it might work for you better than me. Hes only four. Mines going to be 7 in two weeks and hes been potty trained since 2 1/2 but hes been in good night since. Good luck and if you find something that works let me know.

Our daughter was potty trained at 3 and just started sleeping through the night without pull-ups this past summer...right before she turned 5. Our daughter's teacher has a little girl who is 5 who still wears pull-ups at night. I've heard of people whose children went even later. Everyone is different, he'll get it eventually. I used to put my daughter to bed at 8 after using the toilet, then wake her up at 11 to use it again, that seemed to help, but it was really just her being able to eventually wake up to feel the need to use the toilet, she is a heavy sleeper. Good luck and there is no rush!

S.,

Our son was 6 before he stopped wetting the bed every night. His body just wasn't ready yet. We supported him, didn't yell or get angry when he wet the bed, and eventually it stopped. He still sometimes has accidents at night, especially when he is really tired or is handling unusual stress.

Night time potty training takes time with some children and I think some of it may be hereditary.

Have a great day!

C..

It completely depends upon your child and when he is ready. You also want to be sure there is nothing medically wrong as sometimes that little urge to wake up and go potty in the night does not always register, so that could be an issue in some cases.

As for alarm devices - they only offer about 80% chances of it working after you use it, but the child can revert back given any type of stress or heavy sleep. (So no, I do not believe in alarms as I feel it really does not teach a child to fully recognize & feel their body reactions.)

We had our son potty-trained just before he began preschool, but he was not trained for bedtime/ nighttime. He wore Pampers Overnights (the bedtime overnight underpants.). That could be your problem / solution. It helped us as we had the wet diaper issue. Not only that, he still felt like he was a big boy going to bed. They also help that feeling if your son is ill with diarrhea, as it helps contain it, the child still feels like he has a chance to make it to the potty and if he has an accident - then it's covered.

But I make sure I do not let my family compare my son to my nephew as the boys are so different, as every child is. What works for one, may not work for another. Especially for potty training.

This won't answer your question, but I totally understand and have really been wondering about my son also. He'll be 4 in February and has been potty trained since 2 1/2. He still soaks the pull-up and often gets the bed wet too! I have no idea what to do!! He sleeps sooooo hard, I think that is the issue for him. So I feel your pain and hope someone has a magical answer. :) Good luck and God bless!
~A.

I would buy 2 plastic sheets. Put one on the bed with a crib soaker pad and sheet, then put the other plastic on top of the first sheet set, then a soaker pad on top of the second plastic sheet and then another sheet. When he wets at night, you can pick if off the bed by the plastic sheet and have the bed already made underneath. That will help with the middle of the night bed making.

As far as the wetting itself... It's interesting that he goes THAT MUCH at night. How often does he go during the day? Is he holding it. Make sure that he drinks lots of liquids in the morning hours. Make sure that he is going to the bathroom every 2 hours or so. Then stop all drinks 2 hours before bed, and put him in underpants not pullups or diapers. All of my kids would wet a pullup and not wet in underpants. You can also use plastic underpants over top of the regular underpants. Uncomfortable but they work.

I know you didn't ask about diapers, but if you haven't tried Goodnights, they work much better than any diaper.

Many children stay dry at night shortly after they potty train, but there are also many that take much longer - you would be surprised at how many don't stay dry until 8-10 years old. (Look how big the sizes of Goodnights go - there is a market for them). Yes it is often hereditary. Usually those with issues are very deep sleepers. I would recommend the Goodnights and double sheeting the bed as suggested. Limit drinks after supper of course but the middle of the night wakeups don't really accomplish much other than make you tired too. They usually wet the bed much earlier than you would expect - when we tried waking our children up at night, we had the best success of catching them with a full bladder and dry bed if we did it before 11:00pm. We tried it just before we went to bed.

Medications to help with the situation are generally not recommended. Some do suggest the alarm, but it is quite traumatic from what I've heard (a sensor goes in the underwear and it is a very loud alarm that goes off the second it detects wetness and is supposed to train your body to wake up). Although I know from experience that bed wetting is not fun to deal with, my opinion is that it is best to deal with it and your child's body will eventually get the hang of it. Kids (especially once they get a little older) do not want to wet the bed - it is beyond their control and their bodies just need to mature.

One other suggestion - we had more problems with wet beds when they were very tired (and therefore slept even deeper).
I know this is long - but we have dealt with this for many years.

God's blessings.

When my DD was potty training it took a little time to master nights. She still doesn't wake up in the middle of the night but she doesn't go either. At 1st we wouldn't allow her anything to drink for about 2 hours before bed. Now we don't have to do that anymore. But she's been potty trained for over a year now. So that might take some time. I would cute off drinks and see if it helps and have him go potty right before bed.

1 / 3