When Do I Stop Giving My Baby Her Bottle and Formula?

My daughter is a healthy and normal 9 and a half months old, she eats 3 or 4 meals of baby food and select soilds a day, and hardly wants her bottle anymore, she doesnt cry for it or really act fussy without it, but is she too young to not have it anymore? should i be giving her formula in a sippy cup instead?? or is it ok to switch to milk this early, she has already had a few things with milk in it so i know shes not allergic.

Hi T.! Both of my kids were the same way. They ate everything and really wanted little to do with a bottle. I gave them their formula in a sippy cup until they were one, then gradually weaned them over to whole milk. I think they need all of the fats and extra nutrients in formula when they are still that young. I always felt more comfortable switching to milk when my doctor gave me the liquid vitamins to start. You are so lucky to have a good eater. Take care!

Stay on the formula until she's 12 months old. It's not necesarily an allergy issue, it's a development issue. Cows milk is designed for calves. Human breastmilk was designed for human babies. We humans got smart and started drinking cow's milk, but that doesnt' meant that human infants are physically equipped to digest it. That's why there's baby formula for non-nursing moms.

Because by now your child is eating meals, you could give her a cup of water (I used a glass) at mealtime. If you want her to control it, make it plastic. I liked glass, because they tend to chew it a little, and with a glass you can see where the fluid is as you tip it. To drink from a cup, a child has to learn to reverse the tongue action versus drinking from a bottle. So you controlling the incline of the cup and seeing it thru the glass makes spillage a bit less frequent. :-) It's a fun process if you tackle it with a bit of laughter. There will definately be times when water simply drools down the face.

As for formula in a sippy cup? Entirely up to you. I would make that decision based on Kaelyn's behavior. If she doesn't ask for a bottle, you don't need to give her one, just because she's used to having one. If you give her a drink another way, apple juice, water, formula, she's still getting fluid into her, and if she decides she'd like a bottle, she'll let you know. Parenting is kind of like playing a new game: you learn strategy as you go, and you use what works best with each child. They are all different, and families are all different, and we're all just making our best guesses and doing the best we can. There's no magic chart that tells you the best way to do stuff, the whens and how-to's of swapping from one thing to another . . . it's a whole lot of experiementing and interacting with your kids.

And that's one thing that makes this website so cool -- cuz parents can share ideas and strategies, you can then filter them and use what you like best !

have fun ! And have a wonderful time growing with your daughter !! I am CONSTANTLY amazed as I look at my kids, (28, 25, 15 and 13) at what talented humans they have grown/are growing into -- some things were evident at a young age, and some come with age. And it's great fun to give them the room to explore (within limits) and to see the people they become !

This would definitely be a good time to try to move your daughter to a sippy cup. She might take to the formula better in the sippy cup.

Don't start the regular milk this early. Your are not supposed to introduce regular milk until your child reaches 1 year. The reason for this is that children prior to one year of age are more susceptible to developing a milk allergy because there tiny little stomachs aren't developed enough to handle the regular milk.

I don't think there's any harm in trying a sippy cup or small regular cup for the formula. I've always been told that their little tummies won't handle milk well until 1 year, so I'd hold off on that for a few more months. By June you will not be buying formula! Good luck!

Not having a bottle is a good thing. At this age, though, not having the formula is not. Babies still need the extra nutrients in formula. It is generally suggested that you start giving cow's or soy milk at about 1 year of age. If the bottle is no interest then start a sippy cup. My peditrician started my twins on a sippy cup at 6 months--first holding it and playing with it, then sipping, etc. They were exclusively breastfed until 15 months but had juice, water and breastmilk in a sippy cup starting at six months. Give it a try! It may just be something new and exciting.

A sippy might not be a bad idea to help her transition. I would keep her on formula, as milk is not as filling or nutrient dense. Formula is made to be part of a babys diet for at least the first year. Milk is only able to be digested properly after a year of life and lacks all the "goodies" that a reapidly growing child needs. As far as quantity of formual, I would contact your Ped if she is not drinking any formula during that day. She can get dehydrated by not taking in any fluids other then what her foods contain.

Hi T.,

A year old. Talk to the baby's peditrician.

Good luck. D.

My daughter is 9 mths & uses a sippy cup. I think it is good to switch around 9-10 months because it makes an easier transition. I would not switch to milk yet. They should not have milk until 1 yr, not just because of allergies but because formula has all the nutrients a developing baby needs.

I have not read all your responses so I may repeat what others have said. I have 4 children so I have definitely "been there, done that". I have always listened to the pediatrician and read many magazines and articles, so I think that I am well informed on most issues.

The first thing, is that your child needs the nutrients in formula till 12 months old. After that you should switch to whole milk till 24 months and then to 1% or skim. You may hear that switching now won't hurt or you may try it and say she is fine. But, do you want to risk it? Formula has different nutrients than milk, for brain development, etc.
It's not all about diarrhea.

Second, I always started introducing the sippy cup at 6 months old. Once my children were able to use it sucessfully and consistantly with no problems, that's what they used all the time. My thought was, why use a bottle when they can use a cup? It gave no chance to get attached to the bottle. They never even missed it. I have witnessed many other children get attached to the bottle and it can be VERY hard to break. I've also witnessed it cause baby bottle tooth decay in other children.
My advice is to switch if you can.

Good luck with whatever you decide!!

1 / 3