When Do I Have the Birthday Party?

I know this is early, but it's been on my mind. My son's birthday lands on a Friday this next year in January. Do I have the party on the following Saturday or the Saturday before? Even if it was on a different weekday - would it matter which weekend I have the birthday party? We don't usually have big parties for birthdays, but this next one is the big 5. Just curious what other moms thought. Thank you.

Wow!!! Thank you so much for your answers - I was just thinking and kinda gearing up for the holidays and figuring out finances. Just thought - hmmm what do other's do. Thank you again for all of your replies.

I always have mine after... silly reasoning, but I just think, well, they are ____ then!!

Plus, having the party after makes their actual birthday remain a "big deal".

Happy Birthday!!

Either one. My daughter's birthday was at the end of October, but with another birthday in the family, Halloween, and a bunch of other activities, we didn't get around to having her party until last weekend. My other daughter's b'day is Jan 3. I'm usually so exhausted from all the holiday activity that I don't even THINK about planning her party until the end of Jan and we usually have it sometime in Feb. I guess that's what happens when everyone's birthday falls right around this time of year - it's busy enough with all the holidays, but throw 3 kids and one auntie's birthday into the mix and it gets craaazy!

Happy Birthday!!

One of my children has a January birthday. We always had to come up with creative ideas. Here are some we used which worked wonderfully. Ongoing movies shown on our TV. Games at intermisssion.
A treasure hunt that worked only if the kids shared the information they found.
The treasure hunt had multiple prizes. A trip to the movies for the birthday invitees and pizza afterward. We always chose a Saturday closest to the exact date for the friends party with a cake.
We had a cake on the evening of the birthday at home. Presents were given on the birthday. It was a family celebration.

I think either weekend would be fine, but I would also acknowledge your child on the actual birthday with a special dinner. Just FYI -- In January, there is a holiday on Jan 17th Monday (President's Day) and kids are out of school that day--some people take a long weekends and might not be in town for the party or it could be a better time since people have more time off that weekend.

I go for after too.......do something nice, favorite meal or something for the birthday day.....then party on the Sat. after....

Good Luck and take care.

Do something just family on his brithday and then have the party after. As folks below said this way he will be 5 and his actually birthday won't be a let down because he is expecting another party or something big.

I would do it the Saturday after. Celebrate with a special dinner on his actual birthday and then he will be so excited to talk about his party... ;)

Either would be fine, but I think the closer you are to the birthday, the better. Have fun!

1 / 3