When Do Babies Usually Stop Needing a Middle of the Night Bottle?

My baby girl will be 10 months tomorrow. She is down to a nightime bottle before bed & one in the early morning. Do babies evenutally grow out of their need for one in the early morning hours? Or do you have to train them not to take one anymore? I don't want to starve her if she's hungry but I wonder if she is just waking up for one because she is use to it.

It really depends on when she gets a bottle before bed. Babies' diegestive tracts are shorter and formula is pretty easily digested. So she will get hungry quicker than an older child.
They do grow out of needing them. It does become more of a habit than anything else. But if you feel like she still needs it and you're comfortable getting up and giving it to her, no one can tell you that you're wrong. Each baby is different from the start. So only you know what is her "normal". Go with your gut. Mommy guts are almost always right on.

Dear I.,

My baby boy was like yours, sometimes it was really frustrating. You do have to teach her not to eat during the night. Trust me at the age of 10 months they don't starve anymore. What I did was to feed my baby with less and less milk each time (so in this way, you don't feel that you are not feeding her) at the end he wans't asking for milk in a matter of weeks. If you don't do this you will have to wake up at night every time she asks for it and this is really tired and exausted and the more time you let happen the more difficult will be for your daughter to learn that during night nobody eats. So start as soon as possible, you will realize how great is to sleep without interruptions.

Sincerely yours,

I was just asking my 'experienced' friend this very same question! She swears that my 5 month old should be able to make it. And to her credit, my 5 month old has often made it all night. Which is why I was wondering if she is just waking because she likes the comfort of the bottle or being held or whatever it is she gets out of it. I must agree with the mom who said to trust your gut and that is almost always right. As a new mom, sometimes it's just hard to do that and sometimes there is no gut feeling (at least this has been true for me). Not very helpful huh? Maybe it is a small comfort knowing you're not alone...

My doc said last month that I have to stop feeding my daughter in the middle of the night (it was her six month checkup). From what I've read, babies physically are able to make it through the night at 11 lbs. I was worried also because I always fed my daughter in the middle of the night around 2pm. Surprisingly, when I tried to stop it worked. Once in a while she wakes up in the am (around 3 or 4) and really can't get back to sleep and I will feed her, but most days she lasts from 7:00 pm to around 5 or 6 am. Mostly, I think she was just used to it but not really hungry. Good luck!

I would continue on with it until 12 months and then re-assess. then if she still needs the first am bottle at 12 months then re-assess at 15 months.

My 2 year old still wants some milk when he gets up in the morning - just sometimes- so for him it's not that he's waking up for the bottle (well he gets a sippy- but that's a whole 'nother story w/ my opinions, LOL! I say keep one or 2 bottles a day for however long you want- don't let others pressure you- there's so much pressure to get the toddler off the bottle!)

My son is 9.5 mo old & takes a bottle before bed at 6:30pm & eats breakfast when he wakes up, usually at 7:30am, then has a small bottle after breakfast. I'm not sure what you mean by waking up "early" for a bottle. If she is waking up at 4 or 5 am, then she shouldn't be. At this age they should be able to go to at least 6am without a feeding. But she will need some sort of food when she first wakes up, as she won't have eaten in 10-12 hrs.

Good morning I.!

My experience as a first time mom with the bottle feeding was by the time she was 11months I stopped giving her the morning bottles in lieu of oatmeal cereal. I did this so she can get the hang of eating oatmeal cereal every morning and needing only one bottle before going to bed. By the time she was 12months I stopped the night bottle also. She gave me a little resistant with that but within a week she forgot about the bottle period. So it all depends how you want to do it. You can give her the oatmeal cereal with a sippy cup.

She will eventually grow out of the need for the early morning bottle, with a few phases of needing it, not needing it, then maybe needing it again for a short time. Your child's body is dictating when she wants/needs to eat, and I believe in giving them what they need at this age. Every child is different in their needs, and their needs are constantly evolving as they grow, just go with the flow and it will all be fine.

1 / 3